[SOLVED] 4 Core 4 Thread i5 Vs 4 Core 8 Thread Xeon for gaming ? What is better

May 10, 2020
What would be better for gaming ?

Looking at an i5 3570k Vs Xeon E3 1265L v2

Upgrading my old PC to hand down to my brother....

I understand the i5 has only 4 cores and 4 threads Vs the Xeon's 4 core 8 threads.

My question is do games these days even utilise more than 4 cores or have we not reached that point yet

These 2 CPU's can be had for roughly the same price at the minute where I live.

Specs;

Asrock B75M motherboard
Radeon RX 580 8gb
16gb 1600mhz Corsair Ram

He plays games such as Rust, Arma 3, Fortnite etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I can tell a pretty big difference in single thread between my 2600k, 2500k, 2500 and my i5-680, and the xeon single thread is right there with the i5-680. I'd still go with the 3570k since a single intensive task needs single thread performance.

The Ryzens are in a completely different league since their single thread performance is much, much higher. But that also requires a much more substantial investment than just a cpu.

The ryzen thought is true, it will mean buying ram and a board as well. Prohibitive to what the op seems to want. Maybe the middle ground here is spending a little more and opting for a 3770k where he can have the 3570 single thread performance but also the HT and multi core performance maximum for that...

kanewolf

Titan
What would be better for gaming ?

Looking at an i5 3570k Vs Xeon E3 1265L v2

Upgrading my old PC to hand down to my brother....

I understand the i5 has only 4 cores and 4 threads Vs the Xeon's 4 core 8 threads.

My question is do games these days even utilise more than 4 cores or have we not reached that point yet

These 2 CPU's can be had for roughly the same price at the minute where I live.

Specs;

Asrock B75M motherboard
Radeon RX 580 8gb
16gb 1600mhz Corsair Ram

He plays games such as Rust, Arma 3, Fortnite etc.

Thanks
The i5 has a much higher minimum clock speed. You will probably get better minimum frame rates from it. Clock speed wins over core count in most games.
With a B75 motherboard, you can't overclock, but that "K" CPU is also unclocked multiplier. Xeons don't overclock very easily.

May 10, 2020
The xeon has a better multi core rating but the i5 has stronger single core ratings. I'd do the 3570 with the potential to overclock. I wonder if it will bottleneck your 580 though.
Thanks ! I was wondering if it the CPU would cause a bottleneck as well. I could go for the i7 option but it's at least twice as expensive to pick up an i7 CPU. So looks like I'm stuck.on the i5 / Xeon territory. If it wasn't for the motherboard being limited to the 2nd/3rd gen chips I would have tried to go with something more recent to support the GPU.

Thanks ! I was wondering if it the CPU would cause a bottleneck as well. I could go for the i7 option but it's at least twice as expensive to pick up an i7 CPU. So looks like I'm stuck.on the i5 / Xeon territory. If it wasn't for the motherboard being limited to the 2nd/3rd gen chips I would have tried to go with something more recent to support the GPU.
I have a xeon 1285l v4 with a gigabyte board I'd be willing to sell, if you wanted to pm me, feel free. It's a good chip and relatively new board (about one year old). As well as an i7 2600k and board that are just collecting dust.

The 3570k will stomp the xeon because of the better single thread performance. It is even faster than a i7-2600k:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...eon-E3-1265L-vs-Intel-i7-2600K/828vs2558vs868

The threads will help, but only under heavy multitasking. I'd run with the 3570k.

That rating is for a v1 chip.
Fixed
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...600K-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1265L-V2/828vs868vs1486
It does beat the xeon in single threaded performance but I'd hardly say it gets stomped. The truth is, for a budget build, ryzen 3 3100 and 3300 looks really attractive.

Last edited:
That rating is for a v1 chip.
Fixed
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...600K-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1265L-V2/828vs868vs1486
It does beat the xeon in single threaded performance but I'd hardly say it gets stomped. The truth is, for a budget build, ryzen 3 3100 and 3300 looks really attractive.
I can tell a pretty big difference in single thread between my 2600k, 2500k, 2500 and my i5-680, and the xeon single thread is right there with the i5-680. I'd still go with the 3570k since a single intensive task needs single thread performance.

The Ryzens are in a completely different league since their single thread performance is much, much higher. But that also requires a much more substantial investment than just a cpu.

The ryzen thought is true, it will mean buying ram and a board as well. Prohibitive to what the op seems to want. Maybe the middle ground here is spending a little more and opting for a 3770k where he can have the 3570 single thread performance but also the HT and multi core performance maximum for that board. The cost shouldn't be much more.

Reactions: hollowmoongaming
Solution
May 10, 2020
The ryzen thought is true, it will mean buying ram and a board as well. Prohibitive to what the op seems to want. Maybe the middle ground here is spending a little more and opting for a 3770k where he can have the 3570 single thread performance but also the HT and multi core performance maximum for that board. The cost shouldn't be much more.

Thanks for the advice again ! I have decided to go for the 3570K as it can be had for about the same money as the regular 3570 in the UK. I have selected a part that is going to cost me about £42 ... I have looked into the i7 37770/3770K and the cheapest i can find here is at least £90.

So seeing as this is just an upgrade for my younger brother i am opting to go with the i5, i don't think spending the extra £50 is worth it as this point as he will probably upgrade to his own system at some point in the next 2/3 years.

Thanks!

Reactions: SamirD
The 3770k generally is much more than the 3570 (as op posted). Almost any time a chip is the highest upgrade on a platform there's a serious premium to be paid from the next step below (usually double)--q9650, 2600k, 3770k, 4790k, etc.

The 3770k generally is much more than the 3570 (as op posted). Almost any time a chip is the highest upgrade on a platform there's a serious premium to be paid from the next step below (usually double)--q9650, 2600k, 3770k, 4790k, etc.

True, for me, double of roughly 50 isn't much. To each their own, when operating on a tight budget build it can be rough, and opinions on upgrades, with seemingly low cost upgrade alternatives may be out of reach for someone else. The 3770k would in no way shape or form be considered expensive in comparison to what msrp was, however for the op, like you said, it may be out of his budget. Just because a Ferrari is half off, doesn't mean everyone should jump on that deal.

True, for me, double of roughly 50 isn't much. To each their own, when operating on a tight budget build it can be rough, and opinions on upgrades, with seemingly low cost upgrade alternatives may be out of reach for someone else. The 3770k would in no way shape or form be considered expensive in comparison to what msrp was, however for the op, like you said, it may be out of his budget. Just because a Ferrari is half off, doesn't mean everyone should jump on that deal.
The problem is that the top end cpus almost always border on 'not being worth it' as a newer platform can be less than a full around upgrade. Case in point is a q9650 for $50--which at this price makes a full combo start to approach $150--not a great value in terms of price/performance.

TRENDING THREADS