Question 4 Pin Cpu (12V2) connectors Instead of 8 pin Cpu? (12V1)?

Oct 28, 2022
Is it Ok to only Use my 4 Pin CPU Connector Instead of my 8 Pin CPU Connector?

My Spec:
Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
RTX3060
Ryzen 7 5700G

Is it Ok to only Use my 4 Pin CPU Connector Instead of my 8 Pin CPU Connector?

My Spec:
Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
RTX3060
Ryzen 7 5700G
If your PSU has the 8-pin connector, then it is a good idea to use it.
Since your CPU peak power won't go abobe 85W and the 4-pin could provide at least 100W then it should work.
It will depend on the motherboard supported wattage over the 4-pin connector.

Not having enough power for the CPU can lead to instability, blue screens, system shuts down or system unable to power on.
It is recommend to have a reliable PSU that can also support the power of your PC components.
Cheaping out on a PSU could end up costing more if it happens to damage a vital component of you computer.

1st what PSU did you have? From the parts you posted, you need a good 550W PSU for your PC.

2nd, you can use the 4 pin cpu connector ( ATX 12V2), and recommend not to OC that Ryzen 7 too much even you have a good 550W PSU. Keep in mind, the 8 pin can deliver twice as much power as 4 pin safely.

So check your PSU first. If it is not a good 550W one, you should buy the new PSU.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Yes it is okay to use only the 4 pin connector. I’m not condoning or praising AMDs choices, but I used my 1.5v FX 8350 chip on only a 8 pin CPU connector. That chip was likely pulling over 250 watts from a connector frankly not designed for it. Looking back was it a good idea, no; but it worked just fine, and didn’t burn down my house.

Oct 28, 2022
If your PSU has the 8-pin connector, then it is a good idea to use it.
Since your CPU peak power won't go abobe 85W and the 4-pin could provide at least 100W then it should work.
It will depend on the motherboard supported wattage over the 4-pin connector.

Not having enough power for the CPU can lead to instability, blue screens, system shuts down or system unable to power on.
It is recommend to have a reliable PSU that can also support the power of your PC components.
Cheaping out on a PSU could end up costing more if it happens to damage a vital component of you computer.

MY mobo is Asrock B550 phantom Gaming 4 it has 8 pin CPU (12V1) and 4 pin (12v2) Im currently plugging my cpu pin to 8 pin Right now, will it work for a long time??

MY mobo is Asrock B550 phantom Gaming 4 it has 8 pin CPU (12V1) and 4 pin (12v2) Im currently plugging my cpu pin to 8 pin Right now, will it work for a long time??
Yes, it should work just fine with the 8-pin power connector.
I have the ASRock Steel Legend B550 with AMD Ryzen 7 5800x and I have only the 8-pin (12V1) connected ...and this CPU uses more power (up to 146W).
The CPU it is working just fine reaching 4.9GHz on all cores .

TRENDING THREADS