[SOLVED] 4-pin fans always at 100%

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I currently have 4 system fans installed, all are Noctua NF-A14 with 4-pin connectors, hooked up to a fan controller that came preinstalled with my case. The controller has a 4-pin lead connecting to a 4-pin header on my motherboard and a SATA connector for extra power. The controller has six 3-pin connectors that the fans with their 4-pin connectors go to. I checked my BIOS and it allows me to make a fan curve for my SYS_FAN1 header the same way i can for my CPU_FAN header. Yet the fans always run at 100%. My guess was that thats because the controller only has 3 pins but then there wouldnt be a point in having the controller hook up with a 4-pin connector to the MB. The manual as well says that i should be able to control the fans via the BIOS. And even weirder is that before i installed the Noctua fans i had the stock "be quiet!" case fans that came with it, that only have 3 pins to begin with and i could control them with the BIOS. I also noticed that OpenHardwareMonitor as well as my BIOS itself doesnt read the fan speeds on the Noctua fans anymore despite reading them on the be quiet fans as well as on my CPU fans that are also from Noctua. What am i doing wrong?

Solution
My guess was that thats because the controller only has 3 pins
That is the point. You control the fan speed by that fan controller, otherwise the fan will run full speed, because the the controller has only the 3pin connectors. Sorry.