4 pin molex adapters for EKWB D5 pumps

Jun 2, 2018
Hey everyone.

So, I've run into a bit of a pickle with an upgrade I'm planning on doing to my rig. I'll give a brief rundown of the related parts of my PC. I have an EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU. I currently have two HDDs and two SSDs. I also have a Hue+ from NZXT which is controlling four AER 120 fans and two RGB strips. So, all of that takes up four of the five SATA/Perif ports that are on my PSU. Now the relevant info of the upgrade. I'm going to be water cooling and had planned on sticking with the AER fans. With the amount of fans I would end up needing for the radiators I would need a second Hue+ so that fills in that last SATA/Perif port. The plan is to do two separate loops so I will be needing two pumps obviously. The pumps I'm looking at (EKWB D5) use 4 pin molex. I've tried looking around on google to see what options I might have to make this frankenstein work but I didn't have any luck. Does anyone have an suggestions? My first thought was to use an adapter so that I could use one of the VGA ports on my PSU since I have five of those open but I didn't have any luck finding an adapter that seemed to fit that purpose. Do they make such an adapter or would doing that risk the pumps and/or PSU? Correct me if I'm wrong but it should work find since the pumps would only draw as much power as they need and that should be no where near as much as a GPU would. Anyway, I'll stop writing this book. Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

Update: I just looked through my factory cables and I had a 4 pin molex to SATA adapter but that was it. I wish that would solve the problem lol, that would have made it easy.

fredfinks

Honorable
Whats wrong with using the molex to sata adapters?
Any pump you can get that doesn't use molex?

I went though my box o' cables and threw out all my molex stuff many years ago. That infernal connector has had its day and deserves to be consigned to history. Boycott molex gear

Jun 2, 2018
Normally I would just use the sata adapters but the issue is that between my HDD/SSDs and the Hue+ my sata ports are all spoken for. I agree though that molex can be retired, I'm not a big fan of it either. I suppose I could look into a different brand of pump. Honestly I hadn't really considered that very much. I really like EK so I had planned on going through them for most of my parts.

fredfinks

Honorable
get 'sata power splitter cable' s, you can get cheaper yellow /black/red /black cables or braided for extra.

google image search to see what i mean. I know EK are good , i dont use liquid, just air but i recently bought 2 of their m.2 heatsinks for my NVME drives.

Im surprised that some enthusiast gear still uses molex. its an anachronism, and a bad one at that. Im more surprised that a decent company like EK would choose to do so. It needs to be eradicated like noxious weed

Jun 2, 2018
I looked at a couple of other companies, Primochill, Swiftech, and they use molex too. I wonder if it's because all the pumps are made by the same manufacturer and are just rebranded. I'll look into those splitter cables. I hadn't really thought of doing a splitter. I suppose with a quality PSU like the EVGA it should be able to supply plenty of power for something like pumps and maybe a Hue+ at the same time.

Jun 2, 2018
Right now the Hue+ I have has LEDs on one channel and four AER RGB fans on the other. If I do the upgrade as currently planned the added Hue+ will just have four AER RGB fans on it. I suppose I could use splitters for my drives and save space that way. If I did that, putting the HDDS on one and the SSDs on one, that would free up two SATA ports for the pumps. After some more digging though I did find a dual molex to 8 pin on modDIY.com that could also work. I could run that in one of my VGA ports and have both pumps run off that.

fredfinks

Honorable
prob best getting the 8 pin to molex then.
pumps can require a lot of power and that why i suggest adding on HUE line instead of the drive line.

You said all the pumps use molex, youre prob right that they come from one or few manufacturers.

Jun 2, 2018
I could be wrong but it's my understand that there are only two main manufacturers of D5 pumps. And what happens when you buy one from someone like EK or Primochill or whoever is that they just slapped their name on it. I only looked at names that I recognized and have heard of being good and they all use freaking molex still.