4 pin molex to electroluminescent panel

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hey guys, I am looking into moding my original xbox by adding an el (electroluminescent) panel behind the top logo. The only easy way that I can see to get power from the console is to split the 4 pin molex that powers the hard drive. The inverter for the el panel runs off of 12v and 2 amps. Could I simply connect the inverter to the 12v wire from the molex?

Solution
First to light up the "jewel", you have to remove it from the glue, then remove the glue-foam adhesive off the back, remove the green paint from the back, then cut a hole in the top of the case.

If you manage to do all that and not screw up the jewel, then I would go LED's as it's way less power and heat. 2A might not kill the system, but if the inverter pulls that much, it could be too much and glitch it sometimes when the 12V lines needs all the power.
First to light up the "jewel", you have to remove it from the glue, then remove the glue-foam adhesive off the back, remove the green paint from the back, then cut a hole in the top of the case.

If you manage to do all that and not screw up the jewel, then I would go LED's as it's way less power and heat. 2A might not kill the system, but if the inverter pulls that much, it could be too much and glitch it sometimes when the 12V lines needs all the power.

Solution

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Firstly thanks for the warning on removing the jewel (I had no idea it has a name) but I am still confident that I can safely remove it, secondly would you know if the inverter would draw the full 12c 2 amp at all times or only draw as much as it needs? If it only draws as much as it needs it will only draw a tini amount of power. From what I could find el panels take about 18 miliwatts per square inch and the jewel is at most 9 square inches, so it should take about 162 miliwatts of power to light it. Sorry I'm not very fluent with electricity.