Question 4 slots vs 2 slots RAM?

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying ram. The color that I want is not in stock for the 2 x 16 gig.

Would it be a bad idea to get the 4 x 8 gig ram that does match the color that I want?

Is it worse to have 4 sticks vs. 2 sticks?

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Why is color important?

RGB modules?

More information needed.

Evaluate the sticks based on other criteria: performance, reviews, power, price....

4 sticks vs 2 sticks: same difference if the requirement is 32 GB.

A matched set of four might be a bit more problematic but that depends on many other factors.

At some point the color will not even matter any more..... You will not even notice.

Never let form get in the way of function.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Why is color important?

RGB modules?

More information needed.

Evaluate the sticks based on other criteria: performance, reviews, power, price....

4 sticks vs 2 sticks: same difference if the requirement is 32 GB.

A matched set of four might be a bit more problematic but that depends on many other factors.

At some point the color will not even matter any more..... You will not even notice.

Never let form get in the way of function.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232321

vs

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232416?Item=N82E16820232416

I like the black and silver vs the grey and white

---

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
Not that much different as I view/see the modules shown in the links.

Purely subjective.

Frankly, all things considered these days and/or otherwise considered equal, just get the modules that are in stock.

Waiting could mean "no stock".

Thanks, I could get the 4 x 8's though which are in stock. I just don't want to get 4 x 8's if 2 x 16's would be better. Would you get 4 x 8's or 2 x 16's?

Is it worse to have 4 sticks vs. 2 sticks?
It doesn't matter performance wise for most people. Yes there is some evidence to suggest that running 4 sticks may lower the maximum frequency you can run the RAM at, I believe those speeds are way beyond the sweet spot for DDR4 (which last I checked is DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600). In my experience, I've been running my DDR4-3200 4x8GB system for years now without nary a problem that's for certain a RAM stability issue.

So just get whatever you want.

If you really want to watch a video about this:

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
It doesn't matter performance wise for most people. Yes there is some evidence to suggest that running 4 sticks may lower the maximum frequency you can run the RAM at, I believe those speeds are way beyond the sweet spot for DDR4 (which last I checked is DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600). In my experience, I've been running my DDR4-3200 4x8GB system for years now without nary a problem that's for certain a RAM stability issue.

So just get whatever you want.

If you really want to watch a video about this:

thanks, appreciate your feedback!