Nov 2, 2020
Hello everyone. I’m running a msi x470 gaming plus mobo with ryzen 7 2700x cpu. I have gtx 1060 6gb gpu. 4 sticks of g skill ripjaws 8gb ddr4 3200mhz.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232181?item=N82E16820232181

here is the link to the exact ram. I’m having a hard time with running it even close to 3200mhz which I understand might not be possible. For some reason the newest bios update for this mobo does not allow me to switch the dram voltage to manual from auto therefore I can’t change the voltage. There is a memory try it feature that will bump the voltage where it needs to be when I go about trying frequencies above that of 2133mhz.
A-XMP doesn’t seem to work at all if I go that route it won’t post to windows and I have got it to 2800mhz with memory try it. lately I’ve been playing Mount and Blade 2 and ya it’s not a flawless game by any means maybe it’s the version of the game but for some reason the game gets really stuttery and sometimes freezes which it never used to do. I ran the windows diagnostics memory tool at 2800mhz stating no issues. Should I believe windows diagnostics tool or is that a relatively cheap not very accurate test? Anyone with same setup as me with any advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
Hello everyone. I’m running a msi x470 gaming plus mobo with ryzen 7 2700x cpu. I have gtx 1060 6gb gpu. 4 sticks of g skill ripjaws 8gb ddr4 3200mhz.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232181?item=N82E16820232181

here is the link to the exact ram. I’m having a hard time with running it even close to 3200mhz which I understand might not be possible. For some reason the newest bios update for this mobo does not allow me to switch the dram voltage to manual from auto therefore I can’t change the voltage. There is a memory try it feature that will bump the voltage where it needs to be when I go about trying frequencies above that of 2133mhz.
A-XMP doesn’t seem to work at all if I go that route it...
Hi Ym69 :)

First you should update your Bios.

As A-XMP does not work then you will have to manually enter SPD values. They can be got from CPUz under the SPD tab.
Advanced DRAM Configuration in Bios will give you a sub menu to enter primary SPD values.

You can adjust your DRAM voltage in Bios under DRAM voltage control which is set to AUTO by default.

Nov 2, 2020
My bios is updated to the newest one and dram voltage is on auto but won’t let me switch it from auto. It’s like unclickable in the bios

A-XMP doesn’t seem to work at all if I go that route it won’t post to windows and I have got it to 2800mhz with memory try it. lately I’ve been playing Mount and Blade 2 and ya it’s not a flawless game by any means maybe it’s the version of the game but for some reason the game gets really stuttery and sometimes freezes which it never used to do. I ran the windows diagnostics memory tool at 2800mhz stating no issues. Should I believe windows diagnostics tool or is that a relatively cheap not very accurate test? Anyone with same setup as me with any advice would be much appreciated.
You need to set the bios to allow advanced or custom settings before you can change voltage and timings. Either set the XMP setting for 3200MT/s or set memory try it and then drop the speed to 2933MT/s or 3000MT/s. 3000MT/s should work fine and may even work at CL14-14-14-34 from memory try. Getting 4x8GB 3200 to work with Ryzen 2000 CPUs can take a lot of tweaking to make stable. It's been asked many times why 4x8Gb won't work and it's nearly always easier to just run 3000 CL14 or CL16 depending on the kits original specs. You will lose only around 5fps dropping the speed.

Solution
Nov 2, 2020
Thank you. I’m at work when I get home I’ll look into it more I’m fine with lower speeds I just don’t want my ram unstable. Do you know how to set bios to allow advanced or custom settings on this bios version by chance?
MSI x470 gaming plus running bios version 7B79vAH

Thank you. I’m at work when I get home I’ll look into it more I’m fine with lower speeds I just don’t want my ram unstable. Do you know how to set bios to allow advanced or custom settings on this bios version by chance?
MSI x470 gaming plus running bios version 7B79vAH
It should be a setting in the overclock menu. I don't remember what it's called though and it may not be the same as on my MSI B450, but likely very similar. I can't shut down to check at the moment. I think it was called something like OC Mode and you set it to Expert to unlock more overclock settings like voltage.