Question 4 x DDR5 RAM sticks are causing stability issues ?

Oct 20, 2024
Specs:

• Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
  • RAM: 128GB (4 x 32GB) Team Group DDR5, rated at 5600MHz, currently running at 3600MHz
  • Power Supply: 750W
  • BIOS Version: Updated to the latest (7D75v13)

Problem:I’m encountering stability issues when running 128GB of DDR5 RAM with all four sticks installed. The system lags once RAM usage crosses around 60%. Even though the RAM is rated for 5600MHz, it’s currently clocked at 3600MHz due to the 4-stick configuration.

Interestingly, the system runs smoothly with 64GB (just 2 sticks installed), even at 99% memory usage. This suggests there’s no issue with the RAM itself or other components.

Request for Help:As a newcomer to fine-tuning BIOS settings, I’m looking for advice on how to stabilize this 128GB RAM setup. What specific BIOS settings should I tweak to make it work? I've heard that things like DRAM voltage, frequency adjustments, and SOC voltage might help. Are there any EXPO/XMP profiles or other settings I should focus on?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if you’ve dealt with large RAM configurations on a similar build.

Specs:

• Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
  • RAM: 128GB (4 x 32GB) Team Group DDR5, rated at 5600MHz, currently running at 3600MHz
  • Power Supply: 750W
  • BIOS Version: Updated to the latest (7D75v13)

Problem:I’m encountering stability issues when running 128GB of DDR5 RAM with all four sticks installed. The system lags once RAM usage crosses around 60%. Even though the RAM is rated for 5600MHz, it’s currently clocked at 3600MHz due to the 4-stick configuration.

Interestingly, the system runs smoothly with 64GB (just 2 sticks installed), even at 99% memory usage. This suggests there’s no issue with the RAM itself or other components.

Request for Help:As a newcomer to fine-tuning BIOS settings, I’m looking for advice on how to stabilize this 128GB RAM setup. What specific BIOS settings should I tweak to make it work? I've heard that things like DRAM voltage, frequency adjustments, and SOC voltage might help. Are there any EXPO/XMP profiles or other settings I should focus on?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially if you’ve dealt with large RAM configurations on a similar build.
Post a link to the ram you bought.

Oct 20, 2024
Mixing two 2x32GB kits is iffy.

Perhaps shop for a 4x32GB kit or if you can go down a little a 2x48GB kit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/?compatible_with=LwNxFT#Z=98304002,131072004&S=333,6000

If you want to try to get your mismatched ram to work,
Install a matched pair and go into the bios.
Set the speed specs you want and increase the ram voltage above what the nominal voltage may be.
You can also set lower speed. If that works ok, try the other two sticks and test.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

TRENDING THREADS