Question 40% memory usage on idle? (edit: its a virus soundmodule.exe)

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Usage was high, 80% im like wtf, i restarted my pc, terminated google chrome software reporting, using both project lasso and task menager and memmory usage is now 40%
and i cant see where is 7gb out of my 16gb of ram being used?
What is going on, what am i missing? Is it some new kind of virus? I am torrenting alot, and im experienced with removing bitcoin miners trojans, but whato can i do when i cant see where my memory is being used?? Take a look at the screenshot, nothing is reporting where that memory is!
View: https://imgur.com/a/UheTOm5

Right now you are using up over 1GB just for Chrome. Windows itself needs RAM, since you have 16GB you are probably booting using 3-4GB, and being at Idle doesn't matter when it comes to RAM usage. Also the older the Windows install the more RAM it will use. Overall 40% isn't that unusual with 16GB RAM now.

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Hard deleting sucessfull (used unlocker, love it) , memory usage is now at normal 17% before opening chrome, and now holding at 30% with 20chrome tabs opened.
Be sure to check if you have this <Mod Edit> too, i noticed 80% memory usage after running pc for few days, and that was unusuall so i investigated.
Antiviruses reported nothing. I got it after ''installing'' ''Total War WARHAMMER II The Shadow And The Blade-C000005 RePack'' torrent without selecting destrination lol, and never finding out where it installed it, that was my first red light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard deleting sucessfull (used unlocker, love it) , memory usage is now at normal 17% before opening chrome, and now holding at 30% with 20chrome tabs opened.
Be sure to check if you have this <Mod Edit> too, i noticed 80% memory usage after running pc for few days, and that was unusuall so i investigated.
Antiviruses reported nothing. I got it after ''installing'' ''Total War WARHAMMER II The Shadow And The Blade-C000005 RePack'' torrent without selecting destrination lol, and never finding out where it installed it, that was my first red light.
Good find on the virus. This is one reason I never torrent anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Don't be afraid of torrents, they aren't so bad considering what you get out of it ;) I decide carefully where to put my money, and boycott greedy practices i don't like.
Also, it's not illegal here in croatia (for personal ''use'', it is illegal to resell it tho, our lawmakers are stuck 30y in the past when people used to burn playstation discs and sell them)