News 40 years in, the Mac is part of a vibrant PC ecosystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a macPro cheese grater circa 2009 for a while. It was pretty nice. What I ABSOLUTELY hated was how Apple purposely crippled the machine so it would only run 32 bit apps even though it was designed using 64 bit hardware. Apple is even worse than mictosoft in making not only its software but also its hardware completely incompatible with previous versions. The best I could do with mine was flash the EFI from1,1 to 2,1 and install El Capitan (osX 10.11).

Reactions: artk2219

Geef

Distinguished
I remember using mac's that looked like that in middle school, they were a little newer though. They had OS 6 on them. Whatever they were I remember them not having the requirements for OS 7.

I have to say the mac we had back than was at the time gold. You set it up booted while you waited for that little dude on the bottom of the screen to finish, been so long I remember him but that' s about it.

The pluses were the mac had you up in running out the door. Remember this was 1995.

Put in your dial-up info and you were off to the races.

But after the honey moon reality set in . Sure you were up and running but you were locked into what hardware and software it came with.
It had mac OS 7

I wanted to put in a bigger hard drive but it had a SCSI hard drive in there and back than again more money than a IDE

If you wanted a better program you most likely had to buy it from an authorized apple dealer for a huge mark up vs a windows version of the same program.

The only upgrade I did was memory of 24 mbs and back in 1995 it was just under $800.00 at Computer City, than the wife wanted an Epson printer and that was $1,200 mailed ordered from somewhere back than.

The Model was a Power PC 6100 at $ 3,800.00 at Fedco

For all the money I spent on that now piece of crap heck If I still had today I could buy a Nvidia 4090 + all the top gear out right now and still have change in my pocket. Sigh!

I will always have a fondness for when that mac was first bought but when reality set in I have to this day such a bitter sweet hate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.