[SOLVED] $400 CPU, Mobo and Ram

Jan 26, 2019
Greetings,
I need some help choosing components for a new build, here is the filled form I found on the forum:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $100-400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming and testing short simulations, using CUDA and MPI (I have a server for longer simulations). I also like gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: MotherBoard, CPU and Ram (And maybe an SSD)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, but can be other stores, if it's cheaper, better.

Location: Peralta , New Mexico , United States (I'm from Chile, sorry for my english, and I'll be in the US this week)

Parts Preferences: No brand preference at all

Overclocking: Probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am not sure of how much to spend, but my maximum budget is 400$. Here is a list of the components and spare parts I actually have:
I have an Antec 620W Neo Eco PSU .
A Geforce gtx750 GPU.
A 640GB SATA2 HardDrive.
I also have 2x8gb ddr3 Ram, but most Mobo need ddr4 so I'll upgrade them if it's necessary.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: 2 years ago my desktop computer stopped working (probably because of cpu overheating). My PSU and hardrive are in perfect conditions, also my RAM is ok, but it's DDR3 so I figured I have to replace it.
So I'm upgrading because I need a working desktop computer for my investigation and to play games now and then.

Beforehand, thank you for listening and helping me.

Solution
Solution
Jan 26, 2019

Thanks a lot for the build! Thought I have a couple of doubts.
Is there a particular reason to choose this motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard rather than a less expensive one, like GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING for example ?

And is there a motive to choose a normal ssd Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive rather than a NAND one, like Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB

Thank you for your time

Yes, for exactly that reason. It's higher quality, and you are going back to Mexico at some point I would assume, or are you not?

Because if you are, it would make sense to buy a higher quality board that is less likely to have problems due to quality later, because it's going to be harder for you to get it warrantied or to return it, if you are in Mexico, than if you were still in the US. Could be two weeks, could be six months, but those boards you see in the bottom two spots according to price for most chipsets are USUALLY more prone to there being premature issues due to quality at some point.

The cost of M.2 is not justified, and all these SSDs use Nand, that's what they ARE. M.2 SATA is no faster than a normal SATA SSD and the only benefit is the smaller footprint. If you like it, then it's fine. For M.2 PCI SSDs, the faster speeds will only be of benefit if you are doing a lot of reading and writing to that drive using large sequential operations. For normal everyday use and for gaming, there will be very little difference.

As you can see here in the specifications, that SSD IS a Nand product, like all modern SSDs.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-20-156-173&nm_mc=afc-cjb2b&cm_mmc=afc-cjb2b-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-Crucial-_-9B20156173&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-cjb2b-PCPartPicker%2C+LLC&cjevent=6103d59e21b911e981f901940a1c0e14

Jan 26, 2019

Thank you this was quite illustrating, and you are right, it's better to be safe than sorry.
One last comment, Chile is in South America, like the last country to the south, not in Mexico, but your point still holds.

Thanks for everything!

Sorry, got the location mixed up with another thread posted by a different visitor. I know where Chile is. Anyhow, hope you have an enjoyable stay while you are here and hopefully you get the parts all lined out to your satisfaction. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.