Question 4070 causing excessive CPU TDP

kenstj

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
I use an Ryzen 7 5800x3D. This CPU has TDP:105w Tj:90c. It's an ASUS motherboard running PCIe 3.0. CPU is air cooled with a large 3-stage two fan heat sink rated at 250 watts.
I just replaced a 3060ti with a 4070. I used the 3060 just fine in Stable Diffusion and using ffmpeg to convert videos to a sequence of png images. Now using ffmpeg with the 4070 causes the cpu TDP to rise above max to 126w and Tj above 90c which triggers an alarm. The 4070 remains extremely cool and never goes above 40c. Trying to figure out why adding the 4070 causes the cpu to go bonkers.

Lutfij

Titan
It's an ASUS motherboard running PCIe 3.0.
Model for your Asus motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Did you remove your prior GPU drivers using DDU before you remove the GPU to drop in the new one. Once dropped in, you manually install the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: Order 66

kenstj

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
It's an ASUS motherboard running PCIe 3.0.
Model for your Asus motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Did you remove your prior GPU drivers using DDU before you remove the GPU to drop in the new one. Once dropped in, you manually install the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
sorry, new user. Will collect data and edit. Thanks for the suggestion, no, went nvidea to nvidea so didn't think I had to update drivers. I'll try that and reply with the specs too....K

The 5800x3d has a PPT,max allowed power draw, of 142W so it's not out of spec, maybe the 4070 has faster decode of frames giving the CPU more work to do or something like that.
Is your cooler set up for max performance or is it in some kind of quiet, or even just reduced, mode?

kenstj

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Cooler is "be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP". This an AORUS X470 Gaming 7 WiFi with latest BIOS. BIOS doesn't seem to have any limit settings for CPU over-temp alarm. As mentioned processor Tj=90C. It is hitting 90+ when processing video to image sequence workflow using FFMPEG. Running MS Flight sim at ultra settings the temp never goes above 60-70. Just seems to be when processing the above workflow. Also, as mentioned, processing workflow with the RTX3060ti is fine. May hit high 80's but measured dissipation on "Core Temp" is maybe 75W or so.
You may be right about the CPU loading because GPU is faster - frustrating.

TRENDING THREADS