Question Should I add an M.2 to my PC even when my CPU can't handle the additional PCIe lanes?

tomer fishbein

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have the Gigabyte Z270 gaming k3 motherboard and I want to install a second NVMe SSD (the Samsung 980 in particular).
My PC components:
I5 7600k
rx 5700xt
32 Gb of DDR4 3200Mhz
256 Gb of M.2
1T HDD

I know my CPU can handle up to 16 PCIe lanes, and I already have a GPU that uses 16 lanes + my M.2 utilizes 4 lanes so I'm already above the limit.
The reason I want to add storage is that my old HDD is making weird loud noises when booting up and Windows even gave me a blue screen once and in the notes it stated the reason was loose cables on the HDD or a faulty HDD.
So the question is should I add another M.2 or a SATA 3 SSD since my CPU can't handle the bandwidth? Or maybe there's another solution?

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
okay, first all, you are wrong.
In fact, you CPU has more than 16X, that is beacuse by intel standard, DMI, which is the data link between CPU and chipset that runs at PCI-E 3.0X4 speed, is not counted in. Meanwhile, you chip set is also a PLX, which is more or less like a network switch but it is a switch for your PCI-E lanes, it has 4X uplink, meanwhile, it has 24X down link in total.
Thus, it is okay for you to use something like this

TRENDING THREADS