Question 4080 stuttering and abnormal power draw ?

Nov 30, 2023
Screen shots

I have been using it for almost a year now, and recently, I’ve been having lots of stuttering even when playing light-loaded games like league of legends.
At one point, my PC crashes even when idle.

I have had this "Windows has restarted your GPU driver due to a problem," and have tried DDU 3 times, and it seems to be better now, at least it hasn't crashed in 2 days.

When I used Furmark to stress test, I could hear the GPU’s coil whine stuttering in sync with the frame, power and temp drops.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D,
GPU: 4080
PSU: Corsair 750w Platinum
RAM: 2 x16GB

I have been using the same setup for a year without issues. I had a power outage last week, and I’ve been having this issue since. I cannot recall if this has anything to do with it, but it is happening at a rather convenient time…

Any clue what might be the problem?

Check system files by running command prompt as administrator, and type within the command window sfc /scannow

You could also check the operating system disk by typing within the command window chkdsk c: /r (where "c" is the operating system drive letter, it might be another letter other than c).

If errors are found and have been fixed by either or both sfc and chkdsk, then with a bit of luck your computer issue should now be resolved.

If no errors found/fixed after running both sfc and chkdsk, or if computer issue still persists after sfc and/or chkdsk "fixed" issues, then look at hardware. Either try another working video card as a test, and/or try the original video card within another computer.

If system seems stable now with the other video card installed, then it is likely the original video card is damaged and will have to be replaced.

If original video card works OK within another computer, then the original computer with the issue may have other faulty hardware.

If original video card within another computer still seems to have issues, then the original video card is most likely faulty and will have to be replaced.

In the event the above tests suggest other faulty hardware, then first try replacing RAM with other known system compatible working RAM. If system seems stable then the original RAM may be faulty and should be replaced. And/or try the original RAM within another computer. If the other computer is now unstable, then the original RAM is likely to be faulty and should be replaced. But if the other computer with the original RAM in it seems to work with no computer issues, then the original RAM is OK

But if the original computer system is still unstable after trying other known system compatible RAM, then try another known working PSU. If the system is now stable, then the original PSU is probably faulty and should be replaced. But if the original system is still unstable after trying another PSU, then it is possible the original system motherboard may be faulty. Could try the original PSU within another computer to verify whether this PSU is working correctly or not. If the original PSU within another computer works fine within issues, then the original motherboard may be faulty.

TRENDING THREADS