Question 4080 Super - - - fan suddenly loud followed by no display every few days ?

Mar 24, 2024
Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Prime b660m D4 wifi
CPU: i5-12400f
GPU: Asus Tuf 4080 Super non oc
PSU: Bequiet Dark Power 13 850w Titanium
UPS: Prolink Pro2000sfcu

Hello everyone, recently i bought a new gpu and psu. At first it didnt work with red led, but after reassembling the pc it worked.

But couple days later, out of nowhere the gpu fans suddenly turns really loud followed with no display. This happened when i was idling on valorant. Tried shutting it down but when i power it on again, the red led came back and i got no display. This time i tried installing the gpu again and resetting the bios with screw (didnt took out the cmos), it worked. Just to be safe, i upgraded my ups from 1500va/900w to 2000va/1200w.

A Week later which is today, when im on discord the fan got loud again and i got no display. I tried resetting it with screw and it did work.

Will doing this again and again every few days break the component? Also any suggestion for more permanent fix is much appreciated!

Solution
What you're describing is usually a power related issue from my experience. I'm assuming that you're using the 12VHPWR connector from your PSU. I'd suggest reconnecting the cable at both ends, and if it still happens try PCIe 8-pin connectors to the adapter your card should have come with.

At that point I'm not really sure whether it's more likely to be GPU or PSU. The 4080S is at least 100W higher TDP than the 3070 so it working with that isn't necessarily an indicator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

you mentioned buying anew GPU, what GPU were you on prior to the RTX4080 Super? Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia), then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Mar 24, 2024

you mentioned buying anew GPU, what GPU were you on prior to the RTX4080 Super? Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia), then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
thanks for replying lutfij! Prior to RTX4080s, i was using 3070 and it working fine. I'll try to use ddu and reinstall the driver!

Mar 24, 2024

Hi lutfij, tried ddu and it didnt work. I still get loud fan along with no display. I asked around technician near my area, they said it was strong indication that my gpu faulty and i should RMA. Is this true?

What you're describing is usually a power related issue from my experience. I'm assuming that you're using the 12VHPWR connector from your PSU. I'd suggest reconnecting the cable at both ends, and if it still happens try PCIe 8-pin connectors to the adapter your card should have come with.

At that point I'm not really sure whether it's more likely to be GPU or PSU. The 4080S is at least 100W higher TDP than the 3070 so it working with that isn't necessarily an indicator.

Solution
Mar 24, 2024

thanks for your input! I did try reconnecting the 12VHPWR cable at first and it seems didnt work. I'll try PCIe 8 pin adapter!

Mar 24, 2024

hi thestryker, i tried the PCIe 8-pin connector and it worked since weeks ago, Thank you!

Reactions: thestryker