Question 4080 super getting the same FPS as 3080ti

Mar 20, 2024
Just got a new GBU and was hyped to see the difference. I have tried Cyberpunk and Dragons Dugma 2 and am getting the same FPS at 4k. used DDU and installed a new driver, on high-performance mode, and have not seen a change. GBU is used at 99% so I don't think it's a bottleneck from CBU. Bios is updated and XMP is on. Everything is plugged in and snug. Not sure what else to do and am about to return the damn thing.

Considering getting a 5800x3d but figured if I only play at 4k would not see a difference.

PC Specs
4080 super
Ryzan7 3800x OC
MPG x5700 gaming edge wifi board
DDR4 32g at 3200
1000w Platnum PSU
m.2 990 Samsung 2T

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024
Reduce the quality settings to low and resolution down to at least 1080p. If performance doesn't improve significantly, then the CPU is the bottleneck.

The CPU doesn't have to be pegged at 100% to be a bottleneck. Most games are still reliant on single core performance.
Well Cyberpunk at DLSS off 4k high 55fps. At 1080p 95 FPS

Reactions: artk2219
During the 4K run, what's the following look like over time:
  • Clock speed
  • TDP (either % or W)
  • Performance Cap reason
You can use either GPU-z in the sensors tab or MSI Afterburner showing its graphs to get this.

You can throw in whatever other metric is relevant.

Your Ryzen 7 3800X is holding the card back. Here's a video of CP2077 being played with a Ryzen 7 3800X with an RTX 3060 and it's also only getting 95FPS at 1080p.
That tells me you need to upgrade your CPU because CPU performance is not affected by resolution. It's not really a surprise because you have a cutting-edge enthusiast-grade video card with a CPU that was released almost five years ago. One of the reasons that I was willing to get my RX 7900 XTX is because I have a Ryzen 7 5800X3D that can keep up with it.

Gaming performance isn't determined by just the CPU or just the GPU. It's determined by whichever of the two is slower so spending all that money on a high-end video card while ignoring other aspects of your PC like your CPU (and possibly RAM) is always a mistake. To get maximum gaming performance, you need balance and you're not going to get that from a cutting-edge high-end video card and a CPU that's three generations old.

Having an RTX 4080 Super with a Ryzen 7 3800X is kinda like having a Ryzen 7 7700X with an RTX 2070. Sure, you can do it, but you're only going to be as fast as the oldest/slowest part.

Last edited:
This^^^.

You were probably limiting the 3080ti with the 3800x, even with an OC. With the CPU remaining the same, then there will be little increase in FPS (but this is game dependant).

You see, although the GPU is hugely important in gaming (obviously), your CPU will determine the max FPS. Your CPU sends prerendered frames to the GPU at lets say 100FPS, the GPU then does it's magic and displays said FPS with all the bells and whistles (or not) on screen. By changing only the GPU, your CPU just simply can't keep up with the new GPU. Your GPU will be at low usage (40-70%) because of this. It will always be waiting on your CPU to feed it data. Getting a 5800x3d in there, would change things a bit. Much higher FPS and better 1% lows.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Just got a new GBU and was hyped to see the difference. I have tried Cyberpunk and Dragons Dugma 2 and am getting the same FPS at 4k. used DDU and installed a new driver, on high-performance mode, and have not seen a change. GBU is used at 99% so I don't think it's a bottleneck from CBU. Bios is updated and XMP is on. Everything is plugged in and snug. Not sure what else to do and am about to return the damn thing.

Considering getting a 5800x3d but figured if I only play at 4k would not see a difference.

PC Specs
4080 super
Ryzan7 3800x OC
MPG x5700 gaming edge wifi board
DDR4 32g at 3200
1000w Platnum PSU
m.2 990 Samsung 2T
Others likely correct. The GPU may show near 100% usage, but the CPU cannot complete its instruction sets fast enough.

I doubt the 3800x is holding back a 4080 at 4k all that much. You would be or should be getting similar FPS to a 5800x or x3d vs a 3800x at 4k since the processing shifts more to GPU the higher in resolution you go. There is likely something else at fault.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It's a CPU bottle neck. Time for a CPU upgrade. I upgraded my CPU before I upgraded to the 4080. Back than I did run a lot of MS Flight Simulator which is very much CPU bottlenecked. At least the 4080 can do frame gen which is nice in CPU bottleneck situations. But don't use frame gen if you don't hit at least 60fps without it. Otherwise you will not like it.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So, the CPU is running a game loop for each frame. The whole game code to calculate what happens in the game, all instructions, calculates all the changes including location of player, npcs, game objects, inventory, and coordinates for all polygons. Pretty much everything that happens and changes in any given frame. Then it sends draw calls to the GPU telling it what to draw. The GPU than "draws" the picture according to the CPUs instructions. Depending on how much is going on in a game (games like MS flight simulator, Baldur's Gate 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Dragon's Dogma 2 LOL, are very CPU demanding), CPUs calculate tons of stuff, countless NPCs and endless different parameters that have been changing, its not only about graphics. For each game, depending on the demand on the CPU, the CPU can only run the game loop so many times per second. Lets say 32ms. That means the game can only run at 30 fps even if you pair the biggest GPU available. Maybe the GPU takes only 16ms to draw each frame, but sits around for another 16ms waiting for the next CPU instructions. In that case you could pump up the fidelity of the graphics quality because the GPU has still room to do some extra stuff, like better shadows, ray tracing or whatever. But the GPU cannot help with improving fps in a CPU bottle neck.

4080s can run into CPU bottlenecks in some games. especially in lower resolutions (definitely in 1080, possible in 1440p, seldom in 4k). Especially on older CPUs. Current top of the line gaming CPUs are about 35-40% faster in single core than the Ryzan7 3800x and in Multicore about 2 to 2.5 times as fast (roughly).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022
Definitely grab a 5800x3d. This will also allow you to keep your motherboard and ram longer before you eventually have to buy a whole new setup to just upgrade the CPU. Also, consider OC’ing your ram. Bumping your ram to 3600mhz should eke out 5-10% more frames in some games as your CPU’s infinity fabric is tied to ram speed.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
My 5900x was holding back my 7900xtx @ 4k. The 3800x is 100% limiting performance here.
I don't doubt there is a CPU bottleneck in some games, but there is a chance that it's not just the CPU that is the issue in Cyberpunk, especially when I keep seeing people not turn on ram XMP or forget to do it after a bios update.

@dreamwolf6 I also don't think it's worth buying a 5800x3D now when Ryzen 7000 is getting cheaper and Zen5 should be coming later this year with the 8000 or 9000 series, or whatever AMD decides to call it.

To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure where to go to get good data for specifically 4k performance between CPUs with an RTX 4080. I know from my own set up going from 5600x to 5800x3D, I really only saw an uplift in performance at 1440p and lower res. At 4k they were basically the same performance except for better 1% and 0.1% lows being far smoother on the 5800x3D. The limiting factor for me was my 6800 XT with RT off.

I haven't tested the newest version of Cyberpunk on my 5600x, so I've no idea the difference in performance now compared to whatever version was newest near the end of 2022.

Mar 20, 2024
Probably just going to get the 5800x3d to lazy to go all at to get a 7800x3d. Thanks for the info alway thought if I was 4k and gbu was at 100% I was good. Guess not lol

Mar 20, 2024
Definitely grab a 5800x3d. This will also allow you to keep your motherboard and ram longer before you eventually have to buy a whole new setup to just upgrade the CPU. Also, consider OC’ing your ram. Bumping your ram to 3600mhz should eke out 5-10% more frames in some games as your CPU’s infinity fabric is tied to ram speed.
How does one go about overclocking ram? Never done it is their a good video tutorial out there?

Jul 7, 2022
How does one go about overclocking ram? Never done it is their a good video tutorial out there?
Download “Ryzen DRAM Calculator” from techpowerup.com. This will show you how to set up your ram’s timings, etc. based on which OC MHz you want to achieve.

When you open the program, fill in the left column with info about your computer, then tell it you want 3600 MHz as final OC, then click “Safe Timings” at the bottom and it will tell you what you should set every individual timing, voltage, etc. to achieve it.

I’m sure there are videos on how to use this program as well.

Mar 20, 2024
Download “Ryzen DRAM Calculator” from techpowerup.com. This will show you how to set up your ram’s timings, etc. based on which OC MHz you want to achieve.

When you open the program, fill in the left column with info about your computer, then tell it you want 3600 MHz as final OC, then click “Safe Timings” at the bottom and it will tell you what you should set every individual timing, voltage, etc. to achieve it.

I’m sure there are videos on how to use this program as well.
So all the videos and articles I find are old and they as for a program called Thainphoon which does not work on Windows 11 and may have a trojan on it depending on who you ask lol. Do you know of another program that tells you your rams specs

So all the videos and articles I find are old and they as for a program called Thainphoon which does not work on Windows 11 and may have a trojan on it depending on who you ask lol. Do you know of another program that tells you your rams specs
The performance uplift you could potentially get overclocking your RAM to 3600 I would argue isn't really worth the effort at this point. It's great if you're curious about tinkering with your system and/or you really want the absolute bestest performance, but getting a better CPU will add a ton of performance without much effort.

TRENDING THREADS