Question 450M + 3400G will not POST, CPU and DRAM debug LEDs lit

May 2, 2020
I built a system with a Ryzen 5 3400G and a MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max motherboard. It does not POST and the debug lights for both CPU and DRAM light continuously on power-up. I have exhausted many troubleshooting possibilities and am confident all connections are correct. The RAM (Patriot DDR4 3200) is admittedly not on the compatibility list, and the board is rated "up to 3466+" but I have found this is only applicable when it is overclocked, and otherwise it is rated up to 2667. Still, I gather many contemporary BIOS can function with RAM that is not on the list. I have exhausted almost all of the troubleshooting procedures on the stickied post (the only exceptions are those requiring complete disassembly, because I strongly suspect that the issue is the BIOS and want to try to address that first). I would be grateful for any insight (I believe a solution is a boot kit, but am seeking other ideas while I wait for one to be sent). Can I POST before then?

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
I agree, it's a bios issue. 450 is for Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx CPUs. They can run the 3xxx CPUs but they need the newest bios to do that. You should have bought the 570 to avoid this issue. Try to find someone with a 1 or 2xxx CPU to update the bios, or read the manual to see if you can do it without a CPU. A few boards will read a certain USB port and update from there.

May 2, 2020
You should have bought the 570 to avoid this issue.

Thank you for your insight. I will mention in passing that the board is branded with the official "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" logo. I have read the manual in its entirety. I am aware of USB BIOS flashback and am confident that the board at hand does not include it.