Build Advice Need advice for this new rig

Apr 20, 2024
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/92mKDZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($378.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 2 Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($275.99 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($899.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec P20C ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x SHIFT 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Side Interface ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1994.84

Hey, I would love some advice and suggestions for this build.
I plan to use it for a long time and I don't plan to upgrade it any time soon,
Main uses will be gaming (PC, VR) and probably some coding.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've stylized your post with info asked of in this thread so we understand what you're looking for in said build.

That being said, I would go with the non F SKU since having an iGPU is beneficial when you're having to diagnose display related issues. I would also change the case to something from Corsair to keep with the Corsair bandwagon, that's just my suggestion not something you should do.

You're missing storage on the build, how much more leeway do we have in terms of adding parts to the build?

Here's my take on your build;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.00 @ MSI)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 3000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ Walmart)
Total: $1879.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 18:43 EDT-0400

thought this is not set in stone, only a template to work with.

Blackink

Distinguished
Both of these builds listed have compatibility issues with the BIOS.

If the motherboard doesn't have the correct BIOS to run the CPU, what is someone suppose to do to get the correct BIOS onto the mobo?
Or is there a way to find out, before purchasing the motherboard, that it is actually up to date with the correct BIOS version?

Apr 20, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've stylized your post with info asked of in this thread so we understand what you're looking for in said build.

That being said, I would go with the non F SKU since having an iGPU is beneficial when you're having to diagnose display related issues. I would also change the case to something from Corsair to keep with the Corsair bandwagon, that's just my suggestion not something you should do.

You're missing storage on the build, how much more leeway do we have in terms of adding parts to the build?

Here's my take on your build;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.00 @ MSI)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 3000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ Walmart)
Total: $1879.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-20 18:43 EDT-0400

thought this is not set in stone, only a template to work with.
Hey, basically the build that I've sent is compatible to some of the stores I use to buy my components, as I'm not really using amazon or international store, so most of the components you suggest aren't available to me.

And I have storage units already so I'm not planning to buy any, but I have 500GB M.2 NVME and about 2.5TB of SSD.

I'm looking only to see if the build is good for what I need it to be from a trustworthy source :)

If you are looking for long term use, i would suggest an upgradable platform:

mobo with pcie 5.0 ssd support

case with front panel type c connector

ATX 3.0 PSU

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($382.11 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($209.00 @ MSI)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($799.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ULTRA ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG Core Reactor II 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1694.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-22 05:58 EDT-0400

Apr 20, 2024
I'll be going for this build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($530.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 360 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($278.48 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($122.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($180.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x SHIFT 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Side Interface ATX Power Supply ($186.65 @ Amazon)
Total: $1375.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-26 10:21 EDT-0400

I just got the GPU and the CPU is already being delivered.
Also I'm from Israel so I don't really buy stuff from amazon as it costs way more than it would buying stuff from stores here, so I most likely won't have most of the parts you might suggest.
I'm just looking for someone to give me pros and cons of this build so I'll be able to adjust my build using those.

Thank you.

Apr 20, 2024
You might want to step up your mobo selection.

The UD Z790 has 16 pages but 60A caps in the VRM.

The higher end board Aorus Elite has 90A caps. With the i9 14900k, you will need the beefy VRMs.

So this is better? I just found a store that sells the Aorus Elite version for not alot more.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($530.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 360 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($122.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($180.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x SHIFT 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Side Interface ATX Power Supply ($186.65 @ Amazon)
Total: $1326.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-26 13:20 EDT-0400

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
With the budget for your build, pick a non F version of the processor. The piddling amount you save will not compensate you if you should ever have need to fix discrete graphics cards issues.

If you want the rig to last a long time use air cooling.
aio coolers will fail. The mechanical pump wears out or gets clogged; in time air intrudes through the tubes and the unit needs to be replaced. Think 5 years.

A top end air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s will do the job for less.
Thermalright makes some good twin tower coolers for less.
Here is a report on running high end processors with less than top end coolers.
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

For gaming, the need for cooling is even less:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

Apr 20, 2024
With the budget for your build, pick a non F version of the processor. The piddling amount you save will not compensate you if you should ever have need to fix discrete graphics cards issues.

If you want the rig to last a long time use air cooling.
aio coolers will fail. The mechanical pump wears out or gets clogged; in time air intrudes through the tubes and the unit needs to be replaced. Think 5 years.

A top end air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s will do the job for less.
Thermalright makes some good twin tower coolers for less.
Here is a report on running high end processors with less than top end coolers.
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

For gaming, the need for cooling is even less:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc
I'll tell you what, the cpu is already on it's way so probably too late for me... although it's ok I can always send the pc to a lab and they'll do the work.
about the cooling, I believe it's fine as cooling is pretty cheap, also having an AIO saves me the trouble of buying some extra fans for the top part of the case so pretty much evens out for me. (also never had an AIO after using air cooling for the past 10 years, a nice change)
But besides that, the build is ok? I won't have any troubles with performance or stutters? is the noise level ok for those parts? even tho the budget is high I got most of the heavy stuff for pretty cheap with some connections (CPU and GPU) so its still not too bad for my pocket, I understand the use of an integrated GPU within the CPU but I'll be fine, at most I'll send it to a lab as I said and they'll fix the issue.

Apr 20, 2024
The time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.
yeah but I didn't really care about the integrated gpu, that's basically the only piece I bought before asking.
and it's also the only difference, I'm not asking about this kind of problem I'm asking for performance evaluation. and about how the other components will work with the gpu and cpu mentioned...
So as of now I have the CPU and the GPU, the only components I'm worried about are about the other stuff.
Also I'll switch the ssd to: Samsung 990 PRO M.2 with heatsink.

Integrated graphics includes quick sync which may or may not be useful to you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

On the compatibility issue, you probably do not need to worry.
A motherboard will come with the latest bios including 14th gen support.
Stock newer than perhaps 6 months should be ok.
Check the bios updates for the motherboard you pick.
Some will have bios flash capability w/o a processor.
If all help fails, get the store to update the bios for you.

As far as gpu you can always pick up one cheap from a scrap pc if you ever have concerns that the gpu is acting weird or not.
And, you are down until you get the replacement which might not be the solution.
$25 up front for insurance is a good deal.

I had a problem where integrated graphics saved me.
My PSU failed, and my old psu was not strong enough to run the 3070, but integrated worked fine with a too weak replacement until I got the RMA for my psu.
Turns out that even with a 4k monitor, I noticed no difference for the most part.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Apr 20, 2024
And, you are down until you get the replacement which might not be the solution.

My PSU failed, and my old psu was not strong enough to run the 3070, but integrated worked fine with a too weak replacement until I got the RMA for my psu.
Turns out that even with a 4k monitor, I noticed no difference for the most part.
I believe I'll be fine, I have a family member with a computer lab with all sorts of components there so really no issue, probably shouldv'e gotten the k version but it's ok.

But is the RAM ok? is it a good pick?
Is the case any good by the looks of it? I don't really know much about those stuff..
Are the components all compatible with each other?

I’m fortunate I have microcenter about 40 minutes away and drive by many times on the way from work. So not an issue for me:)