[SOLVED] 450w enough?

Solution
Ok I'm back my psu is Arena gpa 450s8. So can it handle gtx 770 i5 2310 and 2x4gb ram ddr3???

Well, that makes the question easier. It's an ancient group-regulated power supply from a bottom-tier brand and it doesn't actually have 450W in any modern sense, i.e. since Pentium III CPUs. In 2020 terms, it's basically a 360W PSU, so it's insufficient in output, design, and quality.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
i5-2310 = 95W TDP (say 110 max in extreme scenarios)
GTX 770 = 230W TDP (say 260 max in extreme scenarios)
Everything else = maybe 60W (I don't know what drives, MB, etc you have)

WORST CASE you're going to pull 430W. I wouldn't trust even the highest quality 450W PSU for that.

And, when you pick a PSU, it's not just the wattage that counts - it's a matter of how much of that power is available on the 12V rail(s), and, more importantly, whether the brand and EXACT model of PSU you chose is a known high quality unit or not.

Be aware: some brands have both excellent AND dumpster-fire levels of power supplies that they offer.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
WORST CASE you're going to pull 430W. I wouldn't trust even the highest quality 450W PSU for that.

That's a weird conclusion lol. Your PC pulls 430W worst case scenario (this PC would pull way less in fact) and you have a decent modern PSU with 450W continous rating at say 40C ambient. What makes you think it's not good for 430W load ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While I doubt OPs system would be pulling that amount of power constantly, I do NOT know what their usage is, or if their system will be running fully maxed out for extended periods.

Even for a good PSU, drawing at or near its maximum capacity continuously is not healthy.

Reactions: Rui Neves

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Even for a good PSU, drawing at or near its maximum capacity continuously is not healthy.

Why so ? There's nothing wrong with using a PSU at 100% rated load as long as you maintain low enough ambient temperature. It's not load that 'kills' the PSU but the heat. Electrically a good modern PSUs are overbuilt approximately 30-50%, practically the only things that age in them are capacitors, they're heat sensitive and as long as you maintain an ambient temperature 5-10°C lower than in rated for it's not going to fail soon. Actually, a fan would fail way before that. There are of course random failures but they're, you know, random, covered by warranty anyway, and we don't speak about piece of crap PSUs rated at 30°C ambient (looking at you EVGA).

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
you´re on power limit for a 450W , but a good 450w PSU it will handle it without issues . on worst case as being said here you are going to need 430 w more or less , maybe about 350w most of the time, I would buy a good 500 w PSU or 550w PSU for a peace of mind ....

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Wait, doesn't ability to run at 100% rated load assume that the PSU has a 100% efficiency rating?
Umm ... no ?
Like, you think that if PSU isn't 100% effective then it can't output 100% rated power because it loses some lol ? That's not how it works, it outputs 100% rated power and then loses some so you just endup pulling more power (100% rated power + heat losses) from the mains.
As to the overbuilt claim, can you please cite sources on that?
I kinda recall either JG or Aris saying that but i'm not going to search for it now. It's kinda obvious, look at review of any high-end PSU, current ratings on APFC, primary and secondary MOSFETs are 2x higher than required, that's a lot of headroom. And just the fact that most modern PSUs let you run them at 120-130% power assuming they're still relatively cool (as in OTP doesn't kick in) tells you smth, it's obviously not recommended but some headroom is there.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok I'm back my psu is Arena gpa 450s8. So can it handle gtx 770 i5 2310 and 2x4gb ram ddr3???

Well, that makes the question easier. It's an ancient group-regulated power supply from a bottom-tier brand and it doesn't actually have 450W in any modern sense, i.e. since Pentium III CPUs. In 2020 terms, it's basically a 360W PSU, so it's insufficient in output, design, and quality.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Solution