[SOLVED] 4770k (temp spikes when loading games or during loading screens along with usage)

dsr07mm

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I'm using 4770k during last 5 years overall I believe, but I sold my first chip 2 years ago, only couple months ago I bought new. This time it's with some worse cooler, I believe it's T4 Cooler Master (only one cooler). I disabled c6 and other states in BIOS, I also use Power Option for High Performance and freq is always lock at 4.2GHz.

There is no performance loss whatsoever, but for example when I'm playing some less cpu/gpu intensive game, temps are in range 55c, but when I have some loading screen or during obvious loading of textures etc, I get higher CPU usage which is expected, and after 2-3 seconds that goes down to regular low %, but with % I get temp spikes from 55c to 65c only during those couple seconds.

To be honest I know that looks like whining especially because on 4770k it's absolutely safe to have even 75c during gaming, but it's just annoying. I didn't had that with old chip and EVO212.

Is that normal behaviour or perhaps something in BIOS is messed up ? I wouldn't like to reset BIOS because I have a lot of settings set there properly, I updated BIOS when I bought this PC, all those measures are done already.

Just wondering is it okay to have TEMP spikes during USAGE spikes mostly during times when something is loading. It's weird that cpu gets 10c higher and lower change in only 3-5 seconds at most..

Pnt04zm.png

Solution
It's definitely normal to have usage and temp spikes while loading because the cpu is moving a lot of data back and forth. You really shouldn't worry about those temps. You have like 20C headroom before you need to start worrying.

The picture you linked is of the GPU temps, not the CPU temps. And those are fine too. If they climb any higher, you can always bump up the fan speed since it is only at 53% at that temp.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
It's definitely normal to have usage and temp spikes while loading because the cpu is moving a lot of data back and forth. You really shouldn't worry about those temps. You have like 20C headroom before you need to start worrying.

The picture you linked is of the GPU temps, not the CPU temps. And those are fine too. If they climb any higher, you can always bump up the fan speed since it is only at 53% at that temp.

Solution