Question 4770k Temperature Issue

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
I just bought used 4770k from my friend i just tested it at his home temp was fine when cpu oc to 4.4 ghz. I just tested it on cinebench hwmonitor climb to 77-78 temp when test finished. Now i build my rig i have 1150 pin stock cooler. I tested it on everything is default on bios and windows. I cant go below 55 degrees even not using anything on desktop. On cinebench test my temp is 95-100. That guy had xigmatek whiz does cooler affect that much to temps? Im out of my budget can i do something at bios to reduce my temps?

Sorry for bad english.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I would partially suspect the cooler may not be adequately seated with appropriate thermal paste application. I would reseat with new thermal paste.

And yes the cooler is the biggest impact on the CPU. The stock cooler on older Intel are not great.

Also remember your ambient temperatures also decrease or increase temperatures respectively.

Of course the cooler can affect temps, some are not suited to more than 90-110 watts of dissipated heat...

The included Intel factory cooler is an example of one unsuited to overclocking attempts...results with it (or a similar marginal cooler) would have similar results....and 85-90C is unacceptable, IMO....

J053F K

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
I've got a 4790k (very similar silicon to 4770k) with an all core overclock to 4.8ghz on 1.282v and I'm idling at 35 degrees, getting to peaks of around 75 degrees under stress (ambient temp is c.18 degrees). I'm using an NZXT Kraken X62 with Noctua fans on the radiator and 4x Noctua fans in the case.

I wouldn't bother with the stock cooler on that chip. A good AIO ideally, but the Noctua NH-D14 is a great air cooler. If you wanted a cheaper air cooler I can recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 provided it fits in your case/clears your ram.

Hope this helps.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I would partially suspect the cooler may not be adequately seated with appropriate thermal paste application. I would reseat with new thermal paste.

And yes the cooler is the biggest impact on the CPU. The stock cooler on older Intel are not great.

Also remember your ambient temperatures also decrease or increase temperatures respectively.
I Used arctic mx-4 thermal paste. Im just gonna buy a cooler its called arctic cooler 34 e sports duo. If its help im gucci. If it doesnt im gonna delid this cpu.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
That cooler would be a whole lot better, than the stock intel cooler. Delid would not work with the stock cooler, either. There is nothing that is going to make the stock intel cooler good.
I hope so. But my friend have deepcool gammax 300 or smth like that i can take it from him for a test. Should i do that or just buy that arctic cooler.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Don't know the Arctic Cooler 34 e sports duo, but let me know how you get on! If you don't like it, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is both great and cheap.
Im from turkey there like 80 Turkish lira(Like 14$) difference between evo and arctic cooler. Im gonna buy arctic i think

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Even the Gammaxx 300 is better, than the stock cooler. Any heatpipe cooler is going to be better than Intel's stock cooling. That arctic is probably better, but it is worth using as a test, regardless, so you can really see how bad that stock cooler is.
Than im gonna test with that cooler. If my temp still bad any idea do you have?

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Your temp will be improved, I am sure of it. It might still get fairly hot, due to the nature of that CPU, but overall temps/clock speed should be better. I am pretty confident, that you are thermal throttling, when running cinebench, with that stock cooler.
Thanks for the help. I will write after test.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Your temp will be improved, I am sure of it. It might still get fairly hot, due to the nature of that CPU, but overall temps/clock speed should be better. I am pretty confident, that you are thermal throttling, when running cinebench, with that stock cooler.
I tryed it with gammax 300 temps decreased to 30 at idle 65.

Last edited: