[SOLVED] 4770K to 10700K upgrade time?

Hello everyone, my specs are on my sig. Ok, since i'm buying the RTX3080 within the coming months, I also thought I was due time to move on with the rest, was considering the 10700K, my focus is just gaming, and while the 4770K OC is still doing it just fine, i feel like the 3xxx series will be a bit overkill.

Plus, im still within the DDR3 era so im a bit rusty with the whole DDR4 and intel max official speeds and yadda yadda. Thing is, I've choosen this MSI Z490 Gaming Plus Mobo, seems like it can deal with DDR4 4800, I havent decided with 2x8 or 16 Kit i'll get but hows this memory speed deal going lately? can I really slap whatever i find faster and it should work? heard some gossip about forcing the controller, im rusty as i said ....

What do you guys thiink of this combo? I know i'll be losing on pcie 4.0 but I think that can be overlooked for now

Solution
Sounds like you have a need now, so buy now.
If you have no budget constraints, buy the i7-10700K option.
But you can really get a massive upgrade with a i5-10600K leaving you more budget for a stronger graphics card.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review
Unlike ryzen, intel performance is not much dependent on ram speed. 3600 speed is fine.

Pcie 4.0 is a non issue today.
Possibly there will be some ssd devices where it helps in the future.
Current Z490 based motherboards have mostly advertised a bios update to pcie 4.0.
Currently, there is minimal performance difference in graphics between pcie 2/3.
That is only at the very highest graphics card level.
There are some...
the i7 combo is good u are gonna be ahead few years to play triple AAA Games id say bout it go for it (y)(y)(y)

frankly I was thinking of waiting one more year, see what the intel 12 could bring, but they said 1700 pins!? A new socket would justifiable by DDR5 but my country sucks! it as already going thru a crisis add corona and dolar exchange went from 4.00 or so to 5.70, economists suggest it may hit 7.00 ! then buying hardware wich is already expensive AF would be impossible... so it seems that this is the less worse moment..

McFroggit

Commendable
Aug 16, 2020
frankly I was thinking of waiting one more year, see what the intel 12 could bring, but they said 1700 pins!? A new socket would justifiable by DDR5 but my country sucks! it as already going thru a crisis add corona and dolar exchange went from 4.00 or so to 5.70, economists suggest it may hit 7.00 ! then buying hardware wich is already expensive AF would be impossible... so it seems that this is the less worse moment..
DDR5 will be hella expensive and newer motherboards

DDR5 will be hella expensive and newer motherboards

exactly my thought, i was watching comparisons between, 3200, 3600,4000,4400 mhz ram and the difference between the 3600 and up is minimal fps wise, so im considering the 3600 kit, wich is already a bit salty, imagine ddr5 so... i think i could skip ddr5 unless it last more than 5 years, i dont plan to keep my rig for less than that.

logainofhades

Titan
If your focus is just gaming, go 10600k. The 10700k isn't going to give you much of a benefit, given the added cost. If money is tight, consider a Ryzen 5 3600. Side by side, you wouldn't really notice the difference anyway, unless with maybe a 2080ti, at 1080p, on a really high refresh panel.

Reactions: RodroX
If your focus is just gaming, go 10600k. The 10700k isn't going to give you much of a benefit, given the added cost. If money is tight, consider a Ryzen 5 3600. Side by side, you wouldn't really notice the difference anyway, unless with maybe a 2080ti, at 1080p, on a really high refresh panel.

actually sounds like an interesting choice, tbh, being slightly, just slightly fanboy here id like to keep with intel over amd, despite knowing they're struggling with 10nm and whatnot, so i thought the 8/16 over the 6/12 would be slightly more future proof, considering ive been on 4/8 for about 7 years

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
My old hag of a 3820 greets your dusty backend 4770k! o/

My upgrade is shown in my sig, but not sure if it will be exactly that, so there's my disclaimer. xD

I'd probably settle on the 10700k if I had to right now(since you're fanboying a bit xD), it's right in between, with a decent price and is a can do it all workhorse.

Sounds like you have a need now, so buy now.
If you have no budget constraints, buy the i7-10700K option.
But you can really get a massive upgrade with a i5-10600K leaving you more budget for a stronger graphics card.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review
Unlike ryzen, intel performance is not much dependent on ram speed. 3600 speed is fine.

Pcie 4.0 is a non issue today.
Possibly there will be some ssd devices where it helps in the future.
Current Z490 based motherboards have mostly advertised a bios update to pcie 4.0.
Currently, there is minimal performance difference in graphics between pcie 2/3.
That is only at the very highest graphics card level.
There are some exceptions.

For gaming, it is hard to effectively use more than 4-6 threads.
To test your games for thread sensitivity, try this experiment:
Disable one of your 8 threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador