[SOLVED] 4790K Overclock on B85 Mobo

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
I've just recently upgraded my cooler with the intent to further take advantage of my 4790K's amazing OC abilities.
I'm very happy with how it turned out, temps never go over 68 when gaming with an OC of 4.6Ghz w/ 1.225VCore when they used to touch the 75-80's in 10-15min sessions of Mafia 3.
Well, in short i was wondering if i can bump up to my 4.7Ghz OC w/ 1.27VCore (which i've tested for stability already) being on a B85 Asus Mobo.
Any imminent damage or lifespan shortening likely to happen to the mobo or am i overly concerned?
Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: Fixed a spelling error;

Last edited:
Solution
Your fine 68c so Im guessing 75c or higher with the 1.27v ... Personally I wouldn't do it. There is no performance gain in gaming with that CPU at 4.6 or 4.7Ghz. By taking it to 4.7Ghz the ammount you have to take up the voltage is not worth the 100Mhz which I promise you wont notice lol. So ya stick with your great low voltage OC you have now. As for going 4.7Ghz and you insist no there will be no damage or shortened life of mobo or CPU as long as you keep the inside of the case cool with intake and exhaust fans and that will keep the mobo cool as for CPU honestly it doesn't matter if it goes to 85c when gaming. It will survive. However if you go 85c 24/7 then ya the life will be shorter, by how much who knows.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Your fine 68c so Im guessing 75c or higher with the 1.27v ... Personally I wouldn't do it. There is no performance gain in gaming with that CPU at 4.6 or 4.7Ghz. By taking it to 4.7Ghz the ammount you have to take up the voltage is not worth the 100Mhz which I promise you wont notice lol. So ya stick with your great low voltage OC you have now. As for going 4.7Ghz and you insist no there will be no damage or shortened life of mobo or CPU as long as you keep the inside of the case cool with intake and exhaust fans and that will keep the mobo cool as for CPU honestly it doesn't matter if it goes to 85c when gaming. It will survive. However if you go 85c 24/7 then ya the life will be shorter, by how much who knows.

Solution

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Rusty, was there a tutorial you used to OC that 4790? I have one turned up by .2 with the Gigabyte auto-tune thing, but at .3 the voltage gets away from me. I'd rather do it myself, but I haven't found a tutorial that I trust completely.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
Rusty, was there a tutorial you used to OC that 4790? I have one turned up by .2 with the Gigabyte auto-tune thing, but at .3 the voltage gets away from me. I'd rather do it myself, but I haven't found a tutorial that I trust completely.
I didn't use any, no. Most tutorials just use stupid amounts of voltage, and that's different for every CPU, so i did it myself.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
There is a pretty noticeable difference at 4.7Ghz vs my current 4.6Ghz OC.
Also, this started happening this week.
When gaming if my temps rise to 67-68ºC it downclocks to base clocks, i've increased allowed TDP, Changed from Thermal Balance to Current Balance, Disabled EPU power saving but it still does it. Any ideas on what it could be?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
There is a pretty noticeable difference at 4.7Ghz vs my current 4.6Ghz OC.
Also, this started happening this week.
When gaming if my temps rise to 67-68ºC it downclocks to base clocks, i've increased allowed TDP, Changed from Thermal Balance to Current Balance, Disabled EPU power saving but it still does it. Any ideas on what it could be?
Those are lovely temps I don't know what the problem is You're not even close to the max that that CPU can run under.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
Those are lovely temps I don't know what the problem is You're not even close to the max that that CPU can run under.
The problem isn't the temps, is the fact that when it gets there it downclocks to avoid getting into the 70's which a week back (i switched cooler, and removed the CPU to clean the paste off of it). I tried every setting i thought would work but nothing so far. It just downclocks either to base clock or all the way to 800Mhz during gaming.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The problem isn't the temps, is the fact that when it gets there it downclocks to avoid getting into the 70's which a week back (i switched cooler, and removed the CPU to clean the paste off of it). I tried every setting i thought would work but nothing so far. It just downclocks either to base clock or all the way to 800Mhz during gaming.
If it was good with your previous cooler then it's probably a contact problem between the block and the CPU or how you apply the thermal paste

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Wouldn't the CPU temps be through the roof then? That's my issue. It looks like it throttles but it's at acceptable temps.
Exactly what are your temps on 100% CPU load if it's in the '80s then you're fine. There could be malware on the system that's causing it to use CPU cycles so run a spyware scan and a virus scan and get back