4790K Overheat Issue

RyanBoyE2

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hello ladies and gentleman! A hopefully quick question for you:

Parts related:

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

i7 4790k

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

Question:

This is my first build and I had noticed that my idle core temps are higher than I believe to be accurate using the core temp application and add on. (30-45c) Upon running Prime95 I found that the torture temps were also running high. (70-85c) Although I did manage to get a good run in without exactly knowing what I did correctly. (60-65c) I have redone the thermal paste, switched out case panels and insulation and I suppose my question is, am I doing something wrong? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Solution
It seems like a common worry honestly. I googled "your model processor" average idle temps, and when you dig I was finding the same things you are seeing.

What I would do, cause I can be a worrier too, is run it like normal, keep an eye on temps, and if for some reason something drastic changes, provide the info to us and see what we can come up with.
(As posted by myself elsewhere)

Which version of Prime95 are you running? Later than 26.6 tends to excessively overheat Intel chips in a way that isn't representative of real-world use.
Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for CPU thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload. This is the test that Real Temp uses to test sensors. The link above is to version 26.6, which is well suited to all Core i and Core 2 variants.

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

It's not necessary to run AVX code for thermal testing. Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Just a small amount of paste goes a long way.

Idle temps seem to be OK, software could be reading a little high or testing for a real torture situation.

what kind of ambient temps are you working with?

How are your temps under real life usage?

RyanBoyE2

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Ah! 28.5. I'll try an earlier one, thank you.

RyanBoyE2

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Always around 70-75f or (21-24c). I guess no that I think about it, this isn't so bad.

Anywhere from 29-46c. I won't lie - they jump quite a bit.

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Those temps really seem normal I don't really think its over heating. jumps are fairly normal, now if your not stress testing, and playing game, or doing something sort of intense whats the highest you typically seem?

I gotta feeling you are OK.

RyanBoyE2

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Typically 40-65c.

I apologize. I am very overprotective and like I said - first time. You're probably right.

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
It seems like a common worry honestly. I googled "your model processor" average idle temps, and when you dig I was finding the same things you are seeing.

What I would do, cause I can be a worrier too, is run it like normal, keep an eye on temps, and if for some reason something drastic changes, provide the info to us and see what we can come up with.

Solution

RyanBoyE2

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Will do, thank you very much for your time!

thunder_hammer

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
If you get Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, you can see what the V-Core voltage is for your PC. You don't list your Motherboard, but I found out the hard way the the BIOS defaults set it up for extreme overclocking, and so I lowered my V-Core to 1.09 volts from 1.25 (your CPU may be different) and found that that lowered temperatures as well.