4790K - Sustained Heat with lower Max Temp vs Unsustained Heat with higher Max Temp?

Estorm732

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello. I have a 4790K which I overclocked to 4.5 GHz. I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink.

I'm not really familiar with overclocking, so I first tried my motherboard's (Asus z-97 pro gamer) auto-overclocking. Though I read somewhere that using that feature would leave the CPU voltage settings at auto, and would end up using higher voltages than needed, so I found a manual overclocking tutorial and tried that today. The temperature results did indeed differ, but I'm not sure which is better:

-Using auto overclocking, the max temperatures were higher, reaching 80 degrees in GTA V. Using the manual settings, the temps went down to high 60 to mid 70s.

-However, idle temps are higher using manual (around 40, about 10 degrees higher than auto settings)

-Even though the max reached temperatures were lower using manual than auto, it seemed like the sustained temperatures were higher using manual settings. The case sits next to me, and touching it from the outside near the CPU, it certainly feels more warm.

-After playing 10-15 minutes GTA V, the case was warmer than playing it for 40-45 minutes, even though the max reached temp was lower.

So my conclusion was: Auto settings adjust the voltage depending on the load, thus using more than needed sometimes and reaching higher temps, but not constantly staying there, wheras manual settings do not use excess voltage (set at 1.25 atm) but do not lower it either, resulting in lower max temps but overall hotter running process.

So which would be more ideal?

Solution
I oc my I7 4790K to 4.7Ghz with 1.225V. But in voltage option I put adaptive wich it use only 0.7xx volts on idle (and I have 30ºC) and 1.225V when used at 4.7Ghz.

In my board that name is adaptive core voltage.

Kiril1512

Distinguished
I oc my I7 4790K to 4.7Ghz with 1.225V. But in voltage option I put adaptive wich it use only 0.7xx volts on idle (and I have 30ºC) and 1.225V when used at 4.7Ghz.

In my board that name is adaptive core voltage.

Solution