4790k vs FX 8350 and 9590 benchmarks: Is my 8350 bottlenecking my 780 SLI setup??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JNor

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Good day to you all in the land of Tom and the never-ending hardware inquiries! I have two evga FTW 780's running in SLI, a 1000 watt gold 90% psu (evga), 2x8gb gskill trident x ram, FX 8350 cpu, and Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 mobo. I'm running them at 2560x1440p on a Qnix 2710 (overclocked to 96hz).

I really feel like I'm not getting near the performance that I should with those cards. BF4 most outdoor maps its around 65 fps with peaks to 75 or sometimes 100 indoors, and dips down to 45-50 with pretty rare instances of fps as low as 25 on maps like Hainan Resort when the building comes down. Is my cpu bottlenecking these cards??Both cards are boosting to 1175 core and around 65-6600 on the memory. I've seen footage of people playing with the same ultra settings and cards running a 4770k and easily staying around 90-110 fps. Everywhere I look there are people saying no way is an 8350 bottlenecking, and then 5 more people that say they are. I tried turning down the settings in BF4 to medium or taking the AA off completely and there was virtually no difference in framerate, and it actually seemed to be higher with the higher settings. What do you think? I know for the price, that processor is a great deal. But I also hate to have spent that much money on those cards and not get the full power from them :/
I bought the msi z97 board and had the 4790k pre-ordered until tuesday I canceled because I just wasn't sure how much benefit I would see from it. I was going to send the motherboard back to amazon. Then I saw this video last night (link below) comparing the 4790k against the AMD 9590 and 8350 and the results were staggering o_0
That gap on bf4 and far cry 3 can't be legit can it?? The test results are also kinda iffy since he didn't once mention what the gpu config was...

VIDEO--BENCHMARK COMPARISON: 4790K VS 8350/9590
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDVcpAhegWs

Solution
I tried turning down the settings in BF4 to medium or taking the AA off completely and there was virtually no difference in framerate

I would bet money that your 8350 is holding your system back.

1) The FPS range you mentioned sounds VERY similar to the max FPS the 8350 delivers in BF4(multiplayer). This tells me right away that the CPU seems to be defining your framerate. (i.e. the bottleneck)

2) Turning down graphics settings doesn't increase FPS, because you're not reducing CPU load. If you had a GPU bottleneck, your framerate would be noticeably higher after dialing back the graphics.

You would see not only higher FPS, but also a smoother FPS (less dips) with the 4690K. Short of buying a new motherboard, your only other...

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Well I can't disagree with you on any of that. A lot of Triple A devs have been releasing shoddy, unfinished products, relying on "zero-day" patches to fix what should already be a finished product.

The CPU market does feel like it's stagnating, the lackluster Haswell release leading the pack. I do have to respect Intel for releasing Devil's Canyon at the same price point as the original Haswell equivalents, but I think some healthy competition from AMD would give Intel a well deserved kick in the pants.

Here's to hoping.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

Amen, unfortunately it seems like they're going FM2 etc with onboard graphics like Intel. I hate them both now. I really wanted to just throw in an 8350 and wait it out, but... like i said, i got suckerd by Black friday savings... which ended up costing me a grand to complete the build. On the bright side, I finally got around to getting some SSDs, even if they were 840 evos.. Still gotta love those load times :)
I'm seriously considering de-liding my CPU and putting some proper TIM on it... sober! lol

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

Hate to say it man, but the devil's canyons don't live up to the hype. I know, I fell for it :)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Ahaha :lol:

I feel ya. I've been awfully tempted to do the same, just haven't built up the courage to risk destroying a $300 CPU :p

If you ever do it, lemme know how it goes!

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

Same qualms.. but now u mention courage, and my planet sized ego demands that I do it. That's gotta me into alot of potentially troublesome situations in the past, but when I'm focused .. well I'm still alive, proof in pudding ;)

I wonder what would be the best TIM to use? Good old AC5 or something non-conductive like mx-4 or the noctua one?

I didn't check the temps playing bf4 (just got +premium for $35) cuz I had to take the mobo back (hero vii), asus thinks the southbridge is fukd and i just bought it so that scammy canadacomputers better replace it - but my noctua d15 fans were screaming... maybe using mantle instead of dx puts more pressure on the cpu? i dunno but it's definitely a strong case for deliding.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
MasterChartforbare-dieTIMtesting.png

This is a chart of different TIMs on a delidded 3770K. Looks like you might as well just stick with the Noctua stuff! Looks to be the cream of the crop.

Here's the whole article if you're interested: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2285595