Question 4800mhz DDR5 will only run at 4000mhz

Jan 25, 2024
I recently built an i5 14600k, on an Asus Prime B760 - Plus DDR5, with TeamGroup T-Force 16GBx2 DDR5 6000 CL30-36-36-76.

Both task manager and the BIOS say that the ram is at 4000mhz and if I run a performance test it compares the ram to DDR4. I have tried to run XMP on the first two preset and I never see any change. Admittedly I don't know very much about overclocking, so I may be doing something wrong. I have also tried multiple slot orientations and have also seen no effect (except when I used slots a1/a2 it dropped to 3600mhz).

Have I reached the limit of my CPU or motherboard, do I have defective hardware, or is this normal for the hardware I have. I don't really know what else to try, so hopefully someone can help.

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
I'm having the same problem your having; only difference is your RAM is XMP Compatible with the Mobo and mines not; as well as I'm running 4x as much RAM your using at 128GBs . . . the Stock Speed of mine SHOULD be 5600 MT CL60 but will Crash on POST as it's not XMP Compatible and won't be able to hold as it doesn't have enough volts to power that much. It's very tricky when it comes to OCing a system especially when your a beginner & trust me; once you've done more then 10-100,000 times over in the passing 10 years I've been doing it; it'll make sense. With that said; Base Clock on your RAM says it'll be 4000Mhz but should be able to hit 6K even with XMP Profiling . . . however you COULD technically set it to that without enabling XMP and see what happens. If theres one thing about us OCers; it's the Trial & Errors........................food for thought........................

Jan 25, 2024
I have tried to used xmp and nothing happens. I've tried 6000mhz, I've tried lower settings (4400, 5600 ect) but it always runs at 4000mhz. It runs fine and everything boots but it's always 4000mhz

And the bios reads the ram as 4800mhz base
I'm having the same problem your having; only difference is your RAM is XMP Compatible with the Mobo and mines not; as well as I'm running 4x as much RAM your using at 128GBs . . . the Stock Speed of mine SHOULD be 5600 MT CL60 but will Crash on POST as it's not XMP Compatible and won't be able to hold as it doesn't have enough volts to power that much. It's very tricky when it comes to OCing a system especially when your a beginner & trust me; once you've done more then 10-100,000 times over in the passing 10 years I've been doing it; it'll make sense. With that said; Base Clock on your RAM says it'll be 4000Mhz but should be able to hit 6K even with XMP Profiling . . . however you COULD technically set it to that without enabling XMP and see what happens. If theres one thing about us OCers; it's the Trial & Errors........................food for thought........................
I have tried using XMP both I and II, and nothing happens. I've tried 6000, 5600 4400, i even tried underclocking it and running at 3800, but it always runs at 4000mhz. Every runs fine and windows always boots but its always at 4000. Also the bios say the base clock of the ram is 4800 but the system runs at 4000

Reactions: NanoSuit3
Jan 25, 2024
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Task Manager is not a reliable way to determine DRAM speed.

TZa6Q4f.png
Uoo2dzN.png
1uCNHru.jpg
rNYTMKP.png

When you enable XMP does it take a bit to boot up/do some restarts? If it is doing this then maybe the system isn't running in Gear 2 for memory compatibility. I believe that is called Memory Controller : DRAM Frequency Ratio in that BIOS and it should be 1:2.

Your BIOS is up to date, the CPU can certainly handle that speed and the modules are being correctly read. That really doesn't leave you with a lot of options, but the most likely ones would be faulty motherboard, CPU, memory not fully socketed, or bad mounting tension on the CPU.

Jan 25, 2024
When you enable XMP does it take a bit to boot up/do some restarts? If it is doing this then maybe the system isn't running in Gear 2 for memory compatibility. I believe that is called Memory Controller : DRAM Frequency Ratio in that BIOS and it should be 1:2.

Your BIOS is up to date, the CPU can certainly handle that speed and the modules are being correctly read. That really doesn't leave you with a lot of options, but the most likely ones would be faulty motherboard, CPU, memory not fully socketed, or bad mounting tension on the CPU.
I'm pretty confident the its socketed properly, and the CPU tests ok i haven't seen any sign of it running slow. So im kinda thinking its a faulty motherboard. Is there a way to test for bad mounting tension or do i just have to reinstall that CPU

I'm pretty confident the its socketed properly, and the CPU tests ok i haven't seen any sign of it running slow. So im kinda thinking its a faulty motherboard. Is there a way to test for bad mounting tension or do i just have to reinstall that CPU
You could just redo the screws on your CPU cooler to make sure there's even tension. If it wasn't socketed right it would be kicking back errors or not working.

Verify that the memory ratio is set correctly in the BIOS before doing anything with the hardware. If that's good then I think I'd start with trying just one stick of DRAM to see if anything different happens before moving onto the CPU cooler.

Jan 25, 2024
You could just redo the screws on your CPU cooler to make sure there's even tension. If it wasn't socketed right it would be kicking back errors or not working.

Verify that the memory ratio is set correctly in the BIOS before doing anything with the hardware. If that's good then I think I'd start with trying just one stick of DRAM to see if anything different happens before moving onto the CPU cooler.
I have tried running the memory frequency at 1:2 (a different forum suggested it). I have also tried to run 1 stick in A2 and when that didnt work B1, but there was no change. I am willing to try again tho, sometimes that <Mod Edit> works the second time

Last edited by a moderator: