Question 4GB 1050ti GPU & 4K Monitor a net negative for gaming (FPS)?

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Windows 8.1 64
SSD
Intel i7-4790K (Not overclocked and won't be)
16 GB RAM (2 sticks vengeance ddr3)
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 rev 2.0
GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB not overclocked and won't be
EVGA supernova 650 Watt G2 80 plus Gold.

.. I don't want to mess with overclocking anything...

I have a 27" LED 1920x1080 samsung s27a350h. 2ms , 16.7m color support.
https://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A350HS/ZA-specs

It's been good but it doesn't have a VESA mount for the articulating arm I just bought. I did buy a Non-VESA clamping adapter which claimed to fit up to 27" but it can't fit this Samsung. So I'm buying a new monitor.

I see some refurbished 4K 27" monitors for around $200 and that's around my budget.

But then I'm seeing people say the 1050ti 4GB can't really run games @ 4K with high FPS. Video would be fine but not games. I understand what FPS means but honestly I never tried to tweak FPS. I just play the game at default FPS but an older game I will max out the graphics options basically unless it causes an obvious problem. I play random genre games, not aiming at any particular game/genre but I think higher FPS would be best for all genres.

Anyway, I don't really feel like dropping $750+ on a better GPU since I don't think GPU prices dropped yet and I kinda just got this 1050ti 4GB about a year ago.
If I do buy a 4K 27" monitor with this set up, will it be WORSE than just using a 1080 monitor? Or can I change the 4K monitor to simply run at 1080p until I upgrade GPU? (but for only in-game and not video where it would run 4K video fine), Or would this process basically be automated if I just hook up a 4K monitor and run a game and then watch 4K video?

I know low response time is good (2s or less) and higher refresh rate is better (at least 144Hz) so I'm basically just looking for those specs in 4K refurbished/used for around $200.
But if it will make games worse than just getting a monitor with the same specs I already have (but with VESA) then I might just get another ~$125 used 1080p if a 4K would be a net negative without a better GPU.
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Well with 4k monitor and gtx 1050ti it will be hard to get all the benfits from 4 k monitor, in games even on low settings you won’t really get 60fps or you will but in some very old games. Using 4k monitor for work is usually the best option, or as a second monitor for watching videos while waiting for game lobby to load.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
yea I think I'ma just stick with buying another 1080 instead of a 4K for now. 1440p might work but I don't want to risk it and I especially don't want to get into having to learn how to properly alter all the settings.

When GPU prices aren't exaggerated, I'll get a nice $350-400ish GPU (which would cost like $600 right now in order to run 4K.

Everything I'm reading in terms of 'can I set a 4k monitor to 1080p' AKA downscaling is not a good idea, it may create fuzz/stretching etc at all times not just in games. Something because TVs can do it just fine but monitors can't but monitors have much better refresh rates.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
eh i'm so confused now, this is the rabbit hole I didn't want to fall into.

If you google: "1080p gaming on a 4K monitor", it leads to many threads that make it seem like a bad idea -
Or that it's a somewhat complex process to understand exactly what to do to make it work good, but then there is still almost always back and forth on those threads with people still disagreeing and saying it's better to just use a 1080p monitor.

Another thing is apparently 27" 1080p panels are worse than 24" I wouldn't mind the 3" loss if it's worth it but I do prefer 27".

TerryL I don't know what you mean that 27" is a small monitor for 4K.

What about setting the 4K to 1440p?

Maybe all I have to do is select [No Scaling] for the GPU when right clicking deskptop>NVIDIA control>adjust desktop size and position.

Still though I don't think there's much media currently being put out on youtube etc as 4K, so maybe I should just stick with 1080p?

I would like to upgrade my 1080p camcorder to 4K, even if I don't get a 4K monitor now I'll have the video saved as 4K. But will be hard to give up the 50X optical zoom my 1080p camera has, and I only paid about $125 for it, not looking to spend more than like $300 for a 4K camcorder if possible.

If setting a 4K monitor to 1440 or 1080p isn't that difficult and won't cause quality loss, are there even any available as 24" or 27" for around $200 Used/Refurbished WITH good refresh rate to run games (at 1440p or 1080p until GPUs come down in price in a year or two).

TerryL I don't know what you mean that 27" is a small monitor for 4K.
You do know that everything you see on a monitor is made up by dots right?
4k has 4 times the dots of 1080 which means that at 4k everything you see on the monitor will be 4 times smaller because you don't change the physical size of it.
Actually you have an 1050ti so you can enable DSR and see how 4k on your monitor would be like,on a true 4k monitor it would be clearer but you would understand the size thing.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...w-to-enable-dynamic-super-resolution-in-games.