4GB DDR3 DRAMs Fall Below $16 in Contract Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They will be paying us to accept them shortly...;-) time to buy 32Gb then...

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Dear motherboard makers, please make dual CPU sockets for mainstream use, and start accommodating some 24 slots of ram, instead of only a measly 4 or 6 slots. Although, it's all pretty much useless to the general populace, as nothing is worthy to take advantage of more processing and more access to Ram, since Windows 8 is taking 100 steps back in the PC Productivity and need for innovation to the industry.

R.I.P, although, I do hope more startup companies come with ideas and visions to get PC's needy of upgrading once again. Tablets are for stoneage Flintstones, why are we breeding populace with these devices today? Sad Sad state of affairs.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm just taking a step back and remembering the day when i decided to go out and purchased a 4 MEGA-byte stick of RAM for my 486DX33 (correct me if i'm wrong but DX meant it had the built-in math co-processor versus the SX which didn't I believe) which doubled the amount of ram i had on that motherboard...

That little sucker cost me $160.00... :pt1cable:

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]toxteth[/nom]They will be paying us to accept them shortly...;-) time to buy 32Gb then...[/citation]

In that case, I'll pick up a TB of RAM. I don't have to use it, just accept it to get the money, right? =]

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]Looks like it's time to bring on DDR4.[/citation]
Only problem with that is there won't be mainstream DDR4 CPUs before mid-2014.

With some luck, maybe DRAM manufacturers will manage to push DDR4 into tablets, smartphones, GPUs and other places that use chip-scale/BGA packaging rather than DIMMs first. Portable devices and low-end GPUs can use both higher performance and lower power.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I remember dropping in a 128Mb stick into my family computer back in the 90's (doubling the capacity to 256MB) and thinking to myself, "Wow this is a lot of RAM, what could anyone need more than 256GB for?"

Oh how naive I was back then (and thinner too).

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]Dear motherboard makers, please make dual CPU sockets for mainstream use, and start accommodating some 24 slots of ram, instead of only a measly 4 or 6 slots.[/citation]They would have to be registered memiory (slower and very expensive) because the memory controllers don't have the electrical capacity to drive that many chips directly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_memory

f-14

Distinguished
blah blah blah i heard this all before and that was back when sdram sticks of 128, 256, 512mb could be gotten for $20 one year after another. good times

[citation][nom]ajcroteau[/nom]I'm just taking a step back and remembering the day when i decided to go out and purchased a 4 MEGA-byte stick of RAM for my 486DX33 (correct me if i'm wrong but DX meant it had the built-in math co-processor versus the SX which didn't I believe) which doubled the amount of ram i had on that motherboard... That little sucker cost me $160.00...[/citation]

Lol I got a 486 system today as a freebie, I am not sure but it has 4mb 30pin simms.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Lol I got a 486 system today as a freebie, I am not sure but it has 4mb 30pin simms.[/citation]

There are hobbyist microcontrollers these days with more power & ram than that old 486, lol. Speaking of which, I still have a handful of those 4MB 30pin SIMMs lying around. They were hundreds when new, now I couldn't trade one for a coke. Oh how times have changed...

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
because 8GB is now the standard or 'norm'..
4GB kits are for starters or temporary usage.
as for a full set of RAM like 32GB all slots filled, I for one do not need that much RAM
and two I do not like a full set meaning all four slots populated.
I'm cool but lots of motherboards do not like a full set, start acting 'buggy'..

my opinion.

[citation][nom]proffet[/nom]because 8GB is now the standard or 'norm'..4GB kits are for starters or temporary usage.as for a full set of RAM like 32GB all slots filled, I for one do not need that much RAMand two I do not like a full set meaning all four slots populated.I'm cool but lots of motherboards do not like a full set, start acting 'buggy'..my opinion.[/citation]

32Gb = 4GB in this context. That's why I put the B and b in bold. A lot of the posts here have their acronyms jumbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.