gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Hi,
I just upgraded to 4Gb (From 2Gb.), my motherboard can support up to 8Gb.
I'm using my computer for Photoshop work (Huge files) and gaming (Top quality)

After reading here and there I found out that this isn't gonna improve my system at all...
Is that true?

Threre's also the "/3Gb" in the boot.ini... do I really need it to use my full 4Gb.?

This subject is too vague for me, can you please help...

Thanks
Gil

If you are using a 32 bit Windows OS, the amount of RAM your computer can access will be limited by address space. Typically, most will be able to access around 3 gig of memory.

Now, RAM is cheap, and 3GB is 50% better than 2. So I'd hardly call that 'no improvement at all'.

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
To get the 3GB do I need to add the "/3Gb" in the boot.ini?

If XP 32Bit is only 3Gb limited, should I move to Vista or 64Bit? and get a 100% improvment?

Phin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I am running 32 bit Vista home premium on one of my pc's and give LOTRO quite a lot of play. I went from 2 gig to 4 gig of ram and noticed a considerable difference in performance. The system no longer has to look to the hard drive as much for its info as it now has it stored in the extra memory. Vista is a memory hog and I had some slowdowns in certain areas in the game with only 2 gig ram but the 2 extra gig has really helped. Hope this helps with your question as this is Vista and not XP.I only run 2 gig in my other 2 XP machines and am curious to hear some more insights.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
You will have access to all of your memory with XP64 or Vista64. You won't see a big improvment if you don't really use it. Todays, 4GB is optimal and if you need more, it's because special application need a lot more than usual (DBMS, ...).

Only Vista will use all available to preload stuff to increase in case of need it. Will auto release once something need RAM. That great.

I'm not sure about your "/3gb" but I know the BIOS may need a change to support more than 3GB (like "Enhance Memory" thing).

G

Vista or XP 32-bit will only show 3 GB. If you want to see 4GB, go 64-bit.

If you want to hear more insight, use the damn search tool, google, or even check Wikipedia. There's hundreds of these stupid "I have 4 GB but am only seeing 3GB with 32-bit OS" threads on this board.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I have (or had, see sig :)) 4Gb RAM in XP Pro 32-bit.
It made an appreciable difference and I had 3.4Gb paged.
A benefit definitely, especially in memory hungry programs :)

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Ditto, running 4GB under XP Pro 32 bit, control panel shows 3.5GB, nice improvement for working with multiple applications / files. Do not use the /3gb switch in the boot.ini unless you have a specific need for it. See this article.