4GB patch and 6GB patch

Spaceboy6

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I am using a 4Gb patch to make *32 bit applications have more ram, but does anyone know where I can get a 6Gb version as i have 8gb of ram?

Some of the games i play require more then 4Gb of ram to load big maps and play.

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to instal a 64bit operative system to make use of all the 8GB ram you have. And if the games you're playing are designed to need more than 6GB ram, they will take it, don't worry.

Spaceboy6

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I use 64-bit and supreme commander (32Bit game) crashed when it reached 2Gb of ram. After i use the 4Gb patcher, it stops crashing. Star ruler (another 32Bit game) was also patched, but when it reached 4Gb it crashed straight away. :(

henkbas

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
forgot to mention... I am running and using 12GB of RAM in my build, as mentioned on Windows 7 32 bit..

using PAE

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/archive/index.php/t-13367.html

and a quote from that link:
"I think this could be done as 32bit Server Operating Systems, such as Windows Server Enterprise 2003/2008 (32 bit) can support up to 64GB RAM, with the DataCentre edition supporting up to 128GB in a 32 bit enviroment.

Perhaps the 3.5GB limit in 32bit Windows has more to do with limiting customers choices than the actual limitations of memory in 32bit environments. If every 32bit operating system had support for such vast amounts of RAM (as the Server operating systems highlighted above), then nobody would purchase Microsoft's enterprise level products, or at least not its memory capabilities."

after the patch it will be available as another start option in bootmanager... the original unaltered kernel is still available for boot... make sure you back-up an image of your system anyways before playing with something like this or just upgrade to 64 bit

The address space for 32bits is 4.2 GiB which 4GB, all of your hardware and GPU ram needs address space too, hence the 3.25-3.5 common limit.

And servers use special mobo's and limit the hardware that can be installed, and have certified software, so that extension technologies can be used.

And 64bit home versions of windows cost no more than 32Bit versions, so whats the point? Stability....

There are no games that "require" 4 gig of RAM. That is absolute nonsense. If your games are crashing, you have other issues. Perhaps a complete list of your hardware, and what you are doing, how you have your memory and drives configured, where the game is installed, and what you are doing when it crashes. If you have at least 4 gig of memory, there should be absolutely no memory related issues (RAM related, anyhow) for running games of any kind.

Spaceboy6

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Go check some RTS and Indie games, one was using up 6GB (64-bit) with me. Also i have 8GB of ram, Star ruler crashed to due to lack of ram

There is a failure here of understadning how an OS works.

32-bit applications have their address space divided into two halfs: Half is avaliable for use by the application [2GB], the other half contains the program code, DLL's, and some other data, and is reserved [2GB]. Hence why 32-bit applications by default are incapable of using more then 2GB of RAM at any one point in time, even on 64-bit versions of Windows, as their Address Space open for use is just 2GB. [Skyrim is a good example of such an app].

Now, there is a switch that can be used at compile time, Large Address Aware, that can be set to allow the use of more then 2GB of Address Space if run on either a 32-bit version of Windows with PAE enabled or on 64-bit versions of Windows*. The upper limit on Address Space use is raised to 4GB, the highest value a 32-bit application can use under ANY circumstances. This is why some applications [Skyrim *cough*] have Large Address Aware patches, as it allows the use of more RAM, up to 4GB.

*Technically, only PAE matters here, since PAE is on implicitly on 64-bit versions of Windows

Now, even on Win64, there is NO possible way for an application compiled as 32-bit to ever use more then 4GB Address Space, period. None. The only way to use more then 4GB is to totally recompile the application as a 64-bit exe.

Its called a "memory leak"; the application is trying to use more then 2GB of RAM, which it can't do if it isn't compiled as Large Address Aware. The application fails to get teh space it requested, and promptly crashes [because the devs don't bother to properly implement a graceful shutdown mechanism...].

The 4GB patch simply allows the use of the full 4GB of Address Space. The memory leak remains, but it just takes over twice as long to run into the problem because the upper limit on RAM useage is raised.