[SOLVED] 4k 60 fps build for Flight Simulator 2020

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hi all

My cousin asked me what specs to get to play Flight Simulator 2020. He's playing it on a 4k 60fps monitor.
I was thinking of Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2080.
Do you think it'll be enough for that?
I'm more concerned about the 3600 and whether I need something beefier?

Thanks!

Solution
I play MS Flightsimulator 2020 on the system in my signature @ 1440p (i9 9900K and RTX 2080 Super), and I use the so called "High End" graphics preset (the step below "Ultra") and live streaming of sattelite data, and in the large airports and in big cities with dense scenery, my FPS dips as low as 34 FPS, and generally peak at just 50-ish FPS. It averages around 40 FPS.

So it is going to be very difficult maintaining 60 FPS at 4K even with the most highend hardware, unless you turn down the graphics settings.

I do use AA though, which you c ould probably do witout at 4K, so at least that will give a minor performance boost.

But as mentioned in one review I read recently (after the release of the game) - MS Flightsimulator usually...
Hi all

My cousin asked me what specs to get to play Flight Simulator 2020. He's playing it on a 4k 60fps monitor.

Thanks!
Read this article https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...light-simulators-recommended-pc-requirements/

Obtaining 60 fps on a 4k monitor with with FS2020 is probably not going to happen any time soon, whatever your hardware

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
*Looks up MS FS2020 specs
Huh. This thing's pretty hard on just 1080p. I don't see 4K playing smoothly with the currently available graphics cards.

This game also requires a fast, stable internet connection:
SpecificationMinimumRecommendedIdeal
Internet requirement5 Mbps20 Mbps50 Mbps

I play MS Flightsimulator 2020 on the system in my signature @ 1440p (i9 9900K and RTX 2080 Super), and I use the so called "High End" graphics preset (the step below "Ultra") and live streaming of sattelite data, and in the large airports and in big cities with dense scenery, my FPS dips as low as 34 FPS, and generally peak at just 50-ish FPS. It averages around 40 FPS.

So it is going to be very difficult maintaining 60 FPS at 4K even with the most highend hardware, unless you turn down the graphics settings.

I do use AA though, which you c ould probably do witout at 4K, so at least that will give a minor performance boost.

But as mentioned in one review I read recently (after the release of the game) - MS Flightsimulator usually has a fairly long shelf life, and the hardware to play the game at high FPS and high / ultra graphics settings, probably isn't actually available on the market yet.

I'm personally very curious to see how well the upcoming Nvidia and AMD graphics cards perform in MS FS 2020 once they hit the market

But I personally think that 4K 60 FPS is not something you'll see for a while.

EDIT :

I'd recommend installing the game on an SSD, as it has some quite significant load times. I initialy installed the game on a SATA3 2.5" SSD, but quickly moved it to one of my NVMe drives instead. Installing it on a mechanical HDD would require some patience at certain points.

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks all, this has been very interesting as I thought I knew game hardware specs but this has completely thrown me off!
I'm leaning more towards advising him to run it at 2K instead of 4k for a smoother performance.

I have been trying to run the game.
I had it going, but now, at the start, where it says press any key, I get no response.
I need to find an answer; the game images are stunning.
Update... you need to be logged into microsoft account to be able to run.

Earlier, though, it seemed very smooth to me with a 8600K@5.0 and a GTX1080ti.
I think I am getting 60 fps which is the max with my 4k monitor.
I picked a notch below ultra on the specs.
Update... the game runs at 35fps.
That is not a negative, the game runs smoothly at that rate.

Buy the 4k monitor. You can always reduce the resolution if needed.

I have a side monitor and I keep task manager performance running.
The game seems to be more dependent on single thread performance than it does on having many threads.
Task manager indicated 82 threads but I really saw activity which did not overwhelm the 6 threads that I have. My guess is that it will play best on a modern intel K suffix processor with a turbo of 5.0 or better.
I think the many threads of ryzen are not going to be the best way.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020
Hi all

Thanks!

I have the following hardware and sometimes has 60 FPS in FS2020

2080 Super, i9 10900k, 32gb ram, mobo asus z490 e gaming and 4k Asus monitors at 60hz

FS2020 depends on where you are, if you fly in New York, you will have around 30 FPS using very high (not ultra) settings, in FS2020 depends where you are, if you are flying in a small city may be you will have 40 fps or 50fps. A few places you will have 60 fps

FS 2020 is not optimized, will take months or years to be optimized.

Hope this helps

I would tend to rely on those like Mchavez80 who actually run the game.
I tend to think that single core speed counts for more than thread count.
With only 6 threads I do not see them fully loaded like I did with the predecessor FSX.
I think my 5.0 clock is doing the job.
10900K is as good as it gets in that regard.
There is a patch which takes ages to download and that is supposed to help.
I think it does.

The sim runs smoothly t even 35fps.

Keep the actual user experiences coming.

I run it at about 30-40fps, having used a tweak guide on the Internet. I think it looks pretty good.
aioic06.jpg

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
AMD's next gen chips will be out by the time the 3070 is availble in any reasonable quantity.

wait a couple weeks and see what the new stuff looks like

Yeah that's true but I believe that at 4K the game would be GPU bound and limited so a powerful CPU wouldn't really add much to the equation. Unless the new RDNA 2 cards come up trumps with some weird and wonderful new tech!

there's to hoping!

TRENDING THREADS