Build Advice 4K 60FPS system

formulaic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Current build:

Colorful 2070, Ryzen 2700, 16GB 2666, b450m ds3h, cheapish AIO CPU cooler.

Prospective Build:

Gigabyte 2080ti, Ryzen 2700 (then higher) CPU, 16GB 3200? memory, better mother board.

I posted a few days ago, but now I've got my head around what I need to power a somewhat future-proof 4K 60FPS system for my 4K Sony 900e TV, moving up from an ignorantly bought prebuilt system (which is good, but not quite what i had imagined).

I've already bought the 2080ti Gigabyte Gaming OC to elevate my system, however I'm still seeking advice on how to provide the best platform for that GPU.

In terms of mobo I'm torn between the TUF gaming x470 and x570 or the Gaming Carbon b450 or x470 (chosen due to their decent VRMs). Because I'm just looking to play games at 4K 60 on a non-VRR TV, it seems the 2080ti is the biggest part of the equation, however I can't quite decide what level of mobo to go for. Money is an issue but I'd pay for longevity over saving a buck.

From those mentioned (TUF gaming x470 and x570 or Gaming Carbon b450 or x470) what do people think would be best to achieve 4K 60fps and somewhat future-proof the system for a 3 or even 4 series Ryzen? Or do you think I should just jettison the Ryzen system and get an Intel board with an I7 or I9?

I'm also unsure what DDR4 to get. 2666 isn't enough to do the 2080ti justice I feel, so any suggestions on that would be much appreciated.

(I'm beginning to learn about how to overclock effectively and cool my system (after inadvertently possibly frying the VRMs on my ds3h at 1.45V, 4.05GHZ all cores), but this has been a trial by ignorance (although the prebuilt system I’m upgrading came with six case fans and an AIO CPU cooler which I think have helped me somewhat.)

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
imo it is best to go with ryzen if you are gaming, and dont bother with the 2700 now, the 3600(x) will blow that out the water. 2080ti really is the go to for 4k 60 fps so no complaints there, and motherboard i cant say without spending loads of time researching each one and their vrm game. but if im being completly honest i dont have the time to do that so generally if you want to overclock then look for one with some decent vrm's if you dont want to overclock just get one that fits your needs in terms of expand-ability(internal connecters and shit)

ps on the cpu, you could probs sell the 2700 for 100, then only have to pay another 100 to reach the 3600, so its a super cheap upgrade

formulaic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks Adam.

I was planning on giving it a trial run with the 2700 and the new mobo before splashing out on a 3 series (I'm on holiday atm). Because I just want to play at 4K an OC 2700 with a decent mobo might even be able to get close to a 3 series coupled with the 2080ti.

The mobos I suggested came after a lot of research, which seemed to suggest those boards have decent VRMs. I would like to know whether it's necessary to spend the extra money on an x570 over an x470 or b450 however, when the youtube sites etc seem to say that all you get are options I don't need like PCie and SLI. But then they contradict themselves slightly by saying that higher end boards have slightly better VRMs. It's all very confusing, hence my question here:)

I'll definitely try to sell everything I will no longer need and be happy with anything I recoup from my expensive lesson (I honestly didn't realize there was such a gap in power between the 4K 30 provided by an XB1X I wanted to upgrade from to 4K60 on a PC).