[SOLVED] 4k 60Hz Displayport 1.2 or will 1.4 make a performance gain+? GTX 1080 Ti

Gavsta220986

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
I have recently Bought a 28 inch samsung 4k monitor and hooked it up to a GTX 770 via hdmi cable. The only problem Im getting is when I set windows to 4k resolution which is recommended and then when I go into nvidia control panel the resolution is set at only 30 Hz and cant go higher but the monitor is capable of producing 60 Hz. When I change the resolution to 1080p I do get the option to change to 60 Hz. Is this because my gtx 770 isn't powerful enough to support 4k at 60 Hz therefore I will need to purchase a card like the GTX 1070 0r 1080 to get the resolution set at 4k @ 60 Hz??

Solution
Yes and maybe.
Maybe first: Which cable are you using, it could be that your cable can only do 4k30, or the port on the 770 can only do it, it's a bit vague about what kind of HDMI port it is. The DP port should be a better bet.
Yes: If you want to game at 4k then you need a much better card, think 1080ti, if you just want to put windows on 4k then practically everything can do it, providing the port has the bandwidth. My laptop runs off an intel iGPU and can do 4k60, just nothing 3d.
Yes and maybe.
Maybe first: Which cable are you using, it could be that your cable can only do 4k30, or the port on the 770 can only do it, it's a bit vague about what kind of HDMI port it is. The DP port should be a better bet.
Yes: If you want to game at 4k then you need a much better card, think 1080ti, if you just want to put windows on 4k then practically everything can do it, providing the port has the bandwidth. My laptop runs off an intel iGPU and can do 4k60, just nothing 3d.

Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Your monitor should have a Display Port. I am not sure about your graphic card. If your graphic card has a Display port, just buy the cable. It should resolve your issue.

If not yes you should buy a new graphic card. I think any card with a Display Port would be enough for you, as you are not a gamer. If you are a gamer, I believe you bought a wrong monitor.

Gavsta220986

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
Its the Samsung U28E590D model. Its a normal hdmi connection on the graphics card. I think it also has a display port and I had a cable with the monitor to connect to dp. Is this a better connection than hdmi? I do a bit of gaming. I play mostly fifa and just wanted to try fifa 20 in 4k. Do the graphics of fifa even warrant a 4k machine??

Gavsta220986

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
That's done the trick thank you! There was a dp cable as well a hdmi cable with the monitor and there is a dp port on my GTX 770 so I have just changed from hdmi to dp connection. Now I'm getting 4k at 60 Hz the maximum Hz the monitor can provide. I have to say my windows looks a lot smoother now. I will see what fifa plays like if i still get lagg and sluggish game play I just need to get a more powerful gpu.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
That's done the trick thank you! There was a dp cable as well a hdmi cable with the monitor and there is a dp port on my GTX 770 so I have just changed from hdmi to dp connection. Now I'm getting 4k at 60 Hz the maximum Hz the monitor can provide. I have to say my windows looks a lot smoother now. I will see what fifa plays like if i still get lagg and sluggish game play I just need to get a more powerful gpu.
In FIFA it will be OK, but for modern FPS games probably you will need to drop the resolution back to Full HD.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If you can notice the glow in your new IPS monitor, you should return it. It is an ongoing issue with IPS monitors.

Your old monitor is a good monitor, and your new monitor is a gaming monitor. They are made for different purposes. Replacing the monitor, please play some games with G-Sync. Well then you will see the difference I believe.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Fact is that i have already returned the first monitor because it had IPS glow in 3/4 display corners even glow in diffrent colors !! now the new one has only glow in one corner but it is notice able, i do not know i f i should be happy because it glows only in one side.. because if i order a new one again i do not know if it will have no glow or maybe again glow in multiple colors.. very bad situation. and 4 - 6 weeks waiting time becasue shipping ......

I have tryed games with gsync and 144hz it feels good. downsyde is the ips glow and the 4ms response time instead of 1ms and aslo the bad colors. i just dont know what to do

You are kind of unlucky then. I bought my Aorus AD27QD from Internet. It is not that monitor does not that issue, but I was lucky. Colors are not uniform as expected, but I do not have a glow fortunately. Maybe I don't know if possible trying the monitor at the shopping center then buying would be better. Aorus seems to be 1 Hz. maybe after replacing it you can think about it.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
What would you do in my situation, keep old 4k 60hz 1ms good colors or the new one 2k 144hz 4ms bad colors but with gsync ? im lost

my pc specs here:

CPU : INTEL Core i7 8086k 4GHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
Ram: : Kingston 32 GB DDR4 4000MHz
MemoryDrive : SAMSUNG SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
MotherBoard : MSI Z370 A Pro biosVersion E7B48IMS.280
+ Display ?

You should replace the new one, the glow is really not acceptable. For others it can be OK. But for you it is a big no.

If you are a gamer FPS gamer, 4K is demanding, and 60 Hz would give you disadvantage in multiplayer FPS.

What is your main usage of computer? If for gaming, QHD 144 Hz is the way to go.

Reactions: Help4567

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Please stop creating threads for similar questions and in at least one case, creating a new thread for the exact same question. And bumping your thread after 15 minutes is a great way to be bumped from the forum permanently; the people here are volunteers, not paid customer support for which you have an expectation of getting instant answers.

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
what is wrong with the moderator never see so toxic usless
remove my threads becasue why??
my question might be similar and its not the same why do you bother go take a coffe noting better to do? honestly i just ask question here noting bad in my mind and some guy comes here and just deleted it becasue he got a bad day and give me a warning of banning me from the forum ? wtf ?

and why can i find my thread inside someoneeles thread now what?? so weird but alright then

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
This is weird. Has my thread been deleted or mixed in with someone else's as I think I'm reading two conversations...My own and someone else's?

I think this moderator went a little out of control or its a glitch from the website? but yes you are reaind multiple conversations in one thread it has been mixed for whatever reason