[SOLVED] 4k@60Hz vs 2k@144Hz for work and home related tasks?

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Trying to decide between GIGABYTE G34WQC A 34" 144Hz ($580 CAD) vs the Dell 32 Curved 4K UHD Monitor - S3221QS ($450 CAD + 2% back).

Will be using almost always for work (excel, programming, SAP).

The 4k Dell feels like a better fit, but I've never experienced >60Hz, and am curious if it would help my eyes more. Any advice is appreciated. Text clarity, real estate, and colour quality are my biggest priorities. I don't really game on the PC anymore, so I am not worried about gaming performance or visuals.

Dell: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...1qs/apd/210-axkm/monitors-monitor-accessories
Gigabyte: https://www.amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-G34W...JBLHBWJ/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B09JBLHBWJ&psc=1

Any advice appreciated!

Also, just to be sure, my laptop has a 3050 Ti 4GB card with DP & USB-C - I shouldn't have any issues displaying 4k on the external monitor, correct? Again, no gaming or rendering happening.

Solution
At home I have a high refresh rate monitor. At work I have a bog standard 60Hz monitor. Sure I can tell the difference between the two, but it doesn't affect my productivity one bit.

I'd say go with the 4K monitor. It's larger so you don't have to use as much UI scaling (125% if not 100%), which means more real estate to work with for your apps.
At home I have a high refresh rate monitor. At work I have a bog standard 60Hz monitor. Sure I can tell the difference between the two, but it doesn't affect my productivity one bit.

I'd say go with the 4K monitor. It's larger so you don't have to use as much UI scaling (125% if not 100%), which means more real estate to work with for your apps.

Reactions: dolokhov
Solution

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Do the 4k @60Hz. It'll be perfect for day to day tasks. Especially since 60Hz feels reasonably snappy and smooth

Thanks Galaxy!

Do you have any advice on the 2nd part: "Also, just to be sure, my laptop has a 3050 Ti 4GB card with DP & USB-C - I shouldn't have any issues displaying 4k on the external monitor, correct? Again, no gaming or rendering happening. "

Do you have any advice on the 2nd part: "Also, just to be sure, my laptop has a 3050 Ti 4GB card with DP & USB-C - I shouldn't have any issues displaying 4k on the external monitor, correct? Again, no gaming or rendering happening. "
Yes, it should be fine if you get a USB-C to DP cable. Note that this will not carry any USB signals should the monitor you get have a USB hub.

Reactions: dolokhov

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Actually I wanted to clarify something, did you mean to say your laptop has a USB-C and DP port, or the USB-C is capable of DP?

If it's the former, the USB-C port may not actually carry a DP signal.

• 1 x HDMI 2.0b
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support DisplayPort / power delivery
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A