4k Blu-ray disc playing on PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin_16

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Hi, I currently have multiple Blu-ray drives on multiple PC's and none of which can recognize a 4K Blu-ray disc... Yes they are BDXL and support 100 and 128gb Blu-ray discs. I was wondering if anyone has got this to work or if PC's just cannot play them yet.

I have a i5 skylake, GTX970, 8gb memory.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I agree with the above poster. The firmware needs to be updated from the manufacturer to allow compressed 4k disks to be read. Normal 4 layer blu-ray disks that use BDXL drives won't be able to read a pressed 4 layer disk. Most likely because of licensing, they won't release the firmware to let these work with our current drives. We'll have to buy new internal drives that have the licensing for them. It's gay but that's our only answer. The drives can't physically read the disks.

Ndude07

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
FALSE. I have an Xbox One S and it does nothing to upconvert bluray to 4K. Even though I have a 4K television it only outputs games at 4K and then switches back to 1080p for movies. So ALL bluray upconversion on Xbox One S relies on your television to do the job for it.

Secondly it will absolutely play 4K UHD bluray discs, it apparently just required a day one patch on release of the Xbox One S. I have one and it plays UHD bluray beautifully on a 4K television. I have tested Independence Day and a few other UHD movies on it.

Shane_91

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Agreed, BUT xbox one S will not output bitstream audio, no atmos, no dts X, ... I'm not sure about dolby true hd or dts HD master audio though...

Hendrik_5

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
they are sinning their own death sentence with to much security. pirating doesn't hurt the industrie as hard as they lead you to believe it creates a basis a desire for the mass who cant pirate and makes stuff popular. i actually want to buy the disk to watch them i want myt HTPC to run every file i got blu ray dvd uhd blu ray and all the movies i made with my devices. as well as my copy i made from the VHS tapes i have they just wont allow me to do it. now that the major consoles buggered out on uhd blu ray it probablly gonna die

Nathaniel_SJ

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Buy the stupendous Panasonic Ultra HD Disc Player, makes the Samsung version look like a LEGO toy - also make sure you have an HDR Ultra HD tv or it's pointless buying Ultra HD discs.

Katana man

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

You are dreaming if you think a cheap console can play games at 4k when a ps4 solidly gets higher resolutions every time.

noguffay

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

Did you read :

easonjoy05Jun 15, 2016, 11:48 PM
Till now, there are mainly two ways to enjoy 4K videos: 4K external media player device and 4K media player software installed on computer. Several professional 4K player devices can play 4K videos, like Sony/LG 4K Ultra HD Media Player. 4K TVs such as Samsung UN65HU9000, have been invented. But they are all sort of expensive. There are also many computers which support 4K playing, especially after the release of Mac OS X 10.9.3(compatible with limited computer types). Now more and more Windows and Mac computers supports 4K playback with the help of 4K media player software In terms of price, watching 4K movies on computer seems to be a good choice. Then which 4K player software can support 4K video playback perfectly? UFUWare Blu ray Player is a good choice to play 4k blu ray disc movie on Windows pc.

Does this actually work?

as others have stated, my PC BD writers will explore the file structure of the 4k Ultra blu-ray disk, but not play them. Okay, i can understand the encryption part

but what's confusing me, the same blu-ray disk, (Mechanic Resurrection w/Jason Statham) plays on my 4 yr old sony BDP-S580. We just watched it - i can't tell if it played it in 4k as the TV is still a 1920/1080 display but it did read and play it??

GuruAid

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

Are you sure you're playing an ultra HD labeled disc? I've tried two in my machine (I can explore the file structure fine) but none will play on the mac version or PC. The drive just spins up and stops.

Masterpwnerbob

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

From what I have heard dolby true hd and dts HD master audio are decoded internally and bitstreamed but atmos and dts:x CANNOT be decoded internally therefore CANNOT be bitstreamed the samsung stand alone unit is getting down to reasonable prices finally :)

Masterpwnerbob

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Microsoft has now announced a update for atmos/bitstream so I just bought one

Status
Not open for further replies.