4K console killer PC build?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I would like to ditch my current console and build an all new gaming PC that will be used for nothing but gaming on a 4K TV. This is the system I came up with on PC Park Picker

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nyfGZ8

It's too pricey though, at over $1700. I may be able to skip the video card and use the 1070 I have in my desktop PC, and just use the on board graphics there since I won't be gaming on it anymore. But is a 1070 good enough for 4K?

Also I could probably save a bit on the storage with a smaller M2 drive, but I thought this would be a good way to go since I wouldn't need to have any other internal drives, since space will be tight in the case. 1TB should be more than enough for the games I play and new ones I will pick up later. I spoiled myself going with all SSDs on my desktop, I don't think I can ever go back to a traditional hard drive ever again. And I love the idea of M2's plugging right into the motherboard and not needing any cables.

Any advice on what I can take away or change to make it cheaper, but without sacrificing performance too much? I want something that will be great now, but will also be able to last several years without an upgrade. I'd like to be below $1000.

Solution
Looks ok, but not sure why you went with 8 cores. Unless you need brute compute power for stuff like modelling/rendering/game designing/engineering/etc, you wont be really needing 8 physical cores.
Also go with 3000 or 3200 mhz ram. Ryzen shines with higher ram. Something like this is more balanced...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State...

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Oh. Hmm. I've been reading and watching a lot of videos, saying the Pentium is a great CPU for gaming systems. Or, is that just for 1080p, and I need something better for 4K? I'm not ready for 4K yet, but I plan to get my TV later this fall/winter so I'd like to have a system that can do that.. but with my 1070 video card for now, I won't be able to afford a bigger one for a while, on top of everything else. I don't mind lowering some graphic settings till then...

The important factor over here is the card you pair with the cpu. For 1080p the cards you pair with the 4560 or 1200 doesnt get bottlenecked by the cpu. For 4k you need more stronger cards and those cards are way too powerful for those processors, and hence the anomaly. If you get those processors for 1080p now and later upgrade to a better one when you move to 4k, then that should work fine.
The 1070 can drive 1080p along with the g4560 for now, with some bottlenecks ofcourse in cpu heavy games.