4K HDR HDTV, 1440P or Ultrawide monitor?

WildCard999

Titan
I'd like to upgrade from my 1080P/144hz monitor to something a bit better for my 1080 ti, I'm not really into competitive FPS like I used to be so I don't exactly need a monitor with a high refresh rate and would rather focus on better graphics. At this point I'm stuck between a 4K HDR TV or a Ultrawide monitor (3440x1440P or 2560x1080P) with Gsync or even a nice 2K monitor with Gsync would work out well.

For a TV I was looking at this TCL due to the good professional reviews (good price/size/low input lag/HDR).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

For a monitor I'm not really too sure, probably a 27" Asus ROG 1440P. I like the 21:9 Ultrawides however it seems like the game support is a hit or miss (Playing BnS, World of Warships, Skyrim, Borderlands).

Any input would be greatly appreciated and as of now my budget is around $600 (give or take $100) and may be a bit more when I plan on buying (late Jan/early Feb).

Solution
It's probably too late to make easy money on Nvidia at this point because they are trading at about $200 a share and people in investment circles think that the price is very inflated already. It might go up to $220 if the mining craze gets even bigger and the bubble doesn't burst but I do know their whole "no GeForce in datacenters" thing is a big deal in a negative way and will cost some companies hundreds of millions or dollars and may have them switch to AMD especially since Navi is so damn good at compute since it's complete Vega dies connected via infinity fabric. We have been playing with a test sample at work and God help me if I get sued because I signed an NDA. People know what it is but I'm not supposed to mention it...

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Personally I went with a 65 inch OLED HDR 4k TV over a better monitor. Now I have my PC in the living room with a nice surround sound setup and the tv. Input lag isn't an issue unless you are really hardcore about always winning in highly competitive twitch shooters.

As for HDMI you have nothing to worry about. I have a GTX 1080fe and it handles HDMI 2.2 just fine although one thing I will mention is nvidias default color setup for HDR is a bit off in Windows but NOT in games. So I run Windows with HDR off and then just let the game handle it if it's supported and the results have been fantastic. Games look significantly better in HDR.

Some people will scoff at input lag but I've been PC gaming since before GPUs were a thing, im super picky about latency, aliasing and screen tear and I have zero complaints.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for your response, in the time I've posted this thread and done a bit of research I've actually decided to go with this LG as it has everything I want in a monitor.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: LG - 34UC79G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 144Hz Monitor ($539.99 @ B&H)
Total: $539.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-02 14:20 EST-0500

Also someone posted this review for me in another thread which helped.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-34uc79g-34-inch-ultra-wide-freesync-monitor,4891.html

I would love to get OLED HDR however it's just not in the budget (waiting for tax time!) and at least I know my system can easily handle the 2560x1080P @144hz for quite awhile. I also did a bit of research and found out the majority of my games support 21:9. I considered 3440X1440P but it's just too much and I'd rather get a monitor sooner then later. Also the only game I care about input lag is BnS which if it was from 0-30ish ms then that's fine, I don't really play too many competitive FPS anymore.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Yea I hit the topic a bit late lol. I was actually looking up info about gsync in a Google search and this was in the results so I figured why not.

Prices are definitely still high on the OLED front especially above 55". The best time to buy one is the day after the Superbowl. They usually have crazy sales because lots of people buy nice TV's right before and then return them.

As long as you're happy that's all that matters. Eventually we will all be playing on 4k or better displays anyways and like I said I'm with you on the prices being crazy high. I have a buddy who wants to buy a 4k tv and I've talked him off the wall a couple times because he was going to get an LCD panel one and while they still look fantastic they can't produce those amazing blacks and ultra crisp image you get in an OLED.

Hopefully now that we have 2 mainstream consoles supporting 4k along with the barrier of 4k gaming on pc getting lower we might finally see some real decent movement on the prices. I actually ended up paying for mine by selling some of my shares of both Nvidia and AMD stock, both of which I bought when they were super low. I made a crazy return with no effort on Nvidia, it was a beast last year but my returns on AMD have been great too but it requires paying constant attention. Today for example I bought shares of AMD when the market opened and then sold them about 15 min ago. Only a 50 cent profit per share but if you buy enough on them that 50 cents adds up.

It's basically how I built my PC, got the tv, surround sound, pay for my games etc.

WildCard999

Titan
Nice, yea a friend of mine who works at Best Buy told me if I wanted a nice HDTV to come in just after the Superbowl which makes sense. The monitor I absolutely fell in love with was the Acer X34 but that $1,100+ tag always kept me away and the LG is the closest thing I could find that was similar outside of the res/gsync. Acer is coming out with the X35 but I don't see it being under $1300 as it's barely larger but HDR & 200hz.

I'll have to look into those shares at some point as besides work all I really have is time but I'm in the middle of a career change and some financial concerns so it may have to wait.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
It's probably too late to make easy money on Nvidia at this point because they are trading at about $200 a share and people in investment circles think that the price is very inflated already. It might go up to $220 if the mining craze gets even bigger and the bubble doesn't burst but I do know their whole "no GeForce in datacenters" thing is a big deal in a negative way and will cost some companies hundreds of millions or dollars and may have them switch to AMD especially since Navi is so damn good at compute since it's complete Vega dies connected via infinity fabric. We have been playing with a test sample at work and God help me if I get sued because I signed an NDA. People know what it is but I'm not supposed to mention it whatsoever.

There is definitely money to be made on the AMD side. They are trading just shy of $11 a share and are expected to hit $15 within a couple of months and likely higher as time goes on due to a bunch of things like their contract with Intel, Microsoft, Sony and they are now entering datacenters on the CPU & GPU sides of things in a big way. I think the 1st big contract is with Baidu but even Microsoft has started using AMD gpu's in Azure and all signs point to Amazon doing the same along with both adopting epyc as well. They will still use Nvidia and Intel but just the fact that AMD has their foot in the door is huge for them.

People are worried about Raja leaving but when you get down to it he's already set their gpu roadmap for the next 5 years and because of the contract with Intel they also have cross licensing of gpu patents so if he comes up with something genius over at Intel amd can exercise their right to license it exclusively.

I know Vega looked like a bomb but it wasn't ready due to him issues but they were forced to ship otherwise they would have defaulted on some of their loans which had a Vega launch by date clause. Really the architecture is incredible but it needs to be shrunk down (which is happening right now) before we see it's actual potential as a mid range powerhouse and a high end but fairly priced beast with Navi.

Solution

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I could go on for days about quite a few stocks but PC gamers should really be getting into the market. If you play it a bit safe at 1st and are have patience you can essentially use it just to buy new tech for yourself lol. That's the deal I made with my wife, as long as it's money from my gaming portfolio (not just gaming related stocks) I can spend it however I want whenever I want. It's been keeping me a happy gamer since about 2001.

Ok I'm done lol and sorry mods for being off topic. Good info here though lol

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Same to you, last thing, check out the app called Robin Hood. It's a stock trading app. No commission fees and great tools to follow trends. The only drawback to it is they don't have every company but it's by far the best and easiest way to play the market.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Nice, yea a friend of mine who works at Best Buy told me if I wanted a nice HDTV to come in just after the Superbowl which makes sense. The monitor I absolutely fell in love with was the Acer X34 but that $1,100+ tag always kept me away and the LG is the closest thing I could find that was similar outside of the res/gsync. Acer is coming out with the X35 but I don't see it being under $1300 as it's barely larger but HDR & 200hz.

I'll have to look into those shares at some point as besides work all I really have is time but I'm in the middle of a career change and some financial concerns so it may have to wait.

The day after the Superbowl is when I bought my 2016 model. It was $1000 off its regular price. I'll probably do the same with the 2020 model.