[SOLVED] 4K IPS Gaming monitor possible?

I had the Acer 4K 4ms IPS LED monitor for a couple of years and it had ghosting when set to 4ms in fast paced games like Team Fortress 2, it was also slower vs my 10 years old 1080p 2ms TN Samsung P2250.

I just purchased the LU28H750UQNXZA from Amazon for 398$CA. It has 1ms response time but no HDR and no IPS.
I am sure its an upgrade from my 10 years old Samsung monitor but would this 2ms IPS 4K monitor be better?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27772

Is there good IPS gaming monitors like with 1 or 2ms response time? I heard that Monoprice uses LG panels, is that good?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
So there are yes and no's to the one you bought and the one you're wondering about from monoprice.

Pro's and con's when comparing the two.

The samsung option:
Pros:
Has better response times obviously and it's cheaper by about 50$. But that's about it.
Cons:
It has a smaller screen and worse colors and viewing angles. That's a TN panel for you.
I wouldn't waste my time getting a 4K matched with TN technology. You're just wasting money on color fidelity.

As for the monoprice option,
Pros:
it's an IPS which means great colors and 32" size to boot.
Cons:
The response time is worse (though 2ms is not bad at all, definitely better than 4ms) and the peak brightness is only 250nits, for HDR you need 400nits at minimum.

In my overall...
So there are yes and no's to the one you bought and the one you're wondering about from monoprice.

The samsung option:
Pros:
Has better response times obviously and it's cheaper by about 50$. But that's about it.
Cons:
It has a smaller screen and worse colors and viewing angles. That's a TN panel for you.
I wouldn't waste my time getting a 4K matched with TN technology. You're just wasting money on color fidelity.

Pros:
Cons:
The response time is worse (though 2ms is not bad at all, definitely better than 4ms) and the peak brightness is only 250nits, for HDR you need 400nits at minimum.

In my overall opinion, the monoprice option is better, the 2ms response time is nothing to worry about. But it's kind of a niche choice to go with 4k for gaming ESPECIALLY AT 60Hz if you play FPS or really fast-paced games. 4K monitors with HDR are meant for RPG's or really cinematic based games. I have a 1440p, 1ms, VA panel, 144Hz, 32", 350Nits monitor and it's the best in nearly all aspects. Color, response times, refresh rate, quality, brightness, and size. It all works together so well and it's perfect for gaming mostly. Movies are great too but without HDR it's not ideal, but hey I only watch anime and netflix so not much I'm really missing out on. I have a MSI MAG321CQR.

So if you're deciding between either or, go for the monoprice option, I would not go TN with 4k. But if you're into FPS, go for 1440p, VA, 144Hz. You won't regret that.

Reactions: Zizo007
Solution

The samsung option:
Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
Cons:

In my overall opinion, the monoprice option is better, the 2ms response time is nothing to worry about. But it's kind of a niche choice to go with 4k for gaming ESPECIALLY AT 60Hz if you play FPS or really fast-paced games. 4K monitors with HDR are meant for RPG's or really cinematic based games. I have a 1440p, 1ms, VA panel, 144Hz, 32", 350Nits monitor and it's the best in nearly all aspects. Color, response times, refresh rate, quality, brightness, and size. It all works together so well and it's perfect for gaming mostly. Movies are great too but without HDR it's not ideal, but hey I only watch anime and netflix so not much I'm really missing out on. I have a MSI MAG321CQR.

So if you're deciding between either or, go for the monoprice option, I would not go TN with 4k. But if you're into FPS, go for 1440p, VA, 144Hz. You won't regret that.
Thanks for the reply, is there 1440p VA panels at 27 or 28" with 1ms?

The monoprice one is out of stock and its close to 550$CA plus shipping.

I need HDCP 2.2 to watch Netflix 4K, the monoprice one doesn't seem to support it.

Last edited:
I cancelled the Samsung order and went with IPS LG 27UL600 since it has 400 brightness and that is required for HDR 400, the LG also supports HDCP 2.2, HDR 400 and FreeSync.

I don't think the 5ms resoponse time will make a real difference since it is FreeSync unlike my old Acer 4K.

The LG also ended up being less expensive than the Monoprice, 50$CA more than the TN panel so it was the wise choice.

I hope it doesn't come with any dead pixel and lasts 10 years like my old Samsung.

Thanks for pointing out that 4K TN is not worth it.

Last edited: