Nov 26, 2023
Hi all,

Have had my new system going for about a month and the only component left I need to upgrade is my monitor. I currently have a very old 27" Asus WUXGA monitor (1920x1200)...

My new build is running a Ryzen 7700x, 32 GB RAM @ 6000 mHz, and a Sapphire Nitro+ ATI 7900XTX. I want to balance good gaming performance today with future proofing for at least 5 years... Any thoughts on 1440p vs 4k? What kind of refresh rates can I expect at these resolutions given my hardware?

I would have look at this review thing but think this will be upto you to decide because both are good and depends on what your needs are for gaming. If you want more fps and peformance go with 2k or if you would like more colourful gaming and peformance with abit less FPS then go with 4k. If you do go with 4k then good 120=144hz monitor will be good and with 1440p 165hz-240hz. These 4k monitors coming out now that are 240hz were not going to see that with our currunt GPU at the moment.

I think you should go out and go to computer store in your freetime and check out monitors to see the diffrence from going from 1080P or check out monitor.

Also what your thoughts about OLED screens?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/4

Last edited:
I would look for a larger/wider 4k monitor.
If need be, for performance, you can always run at a lower resolution on a 4k monitor, but with a a 1440P monitor, that is as good as you are going to get.
If you can, see the candidates in person. Failing that, do some research on rtings.com.
And... Plan on keping your old monitor as a side monitor for static info such as email or performance monitors.

Reactions: mikejs78
Monitor resolution is a serious consideration. It decides how much you will spend on future GPU upgrades. Monitor resolution is the START of ones build. Consider your future budget against visual fidelity. Myself? I would never consider 4k though at one point that was my goal. Even at 1440p I spend more than I feel prudent for what is at the end....a hobby.

A monitor is a long term purchase. They do not go obsolete quickly.
When deciding between something good or lesser, I find that the satisfaction of savings on the lesser purchase is transitory.
The regret of not buying the better option lingers on much longer.
If the funds are available consider the better option.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
4K without a doubt. You have a 7900, make use of it's potential. Not to mention as others said it's a long term investment, only makes sense to buy the best you can afford.

Id recommend staying away from any of the following: curved screens, multifunction monitors, OLED, and ultra-wides.

Nov 26, 2023
If need be, for performance, you can always run at a lower resolution on a 4k monitor, but with a a 1440P monitor, that is as good as you are going to get.

I thought of this - but from what I've read, 1440p looks like junk on a 4k monitor because of uneven scaling...

4K without a doubt. You have a 7900, make use of it's potential. Not to mention as others said it's a long term investment, only makes sense to buy the best you can afford.

Id recommend staying away from any of the following: curved screens, multifunction monitors, OLED, and ultra-wides.

Curve screens are really good but once you get used to them, Your eyes will look funny when looking at flat screens but Oled monitors that are coming out are really good compare to what they used to be like. I told myself i stay away from oled screens but that did not plan well because seen the way there making them now with better protection and asus putting cooling things behind monitor to cool down screen and such!. I bought my first oled monitor last year and been really good. Every monitor has there pros and cons

logainofhades

Titan
I personally would choose a high refresh rate 1440p. I really do not see that 7900xtx doing 4k gaming, at high/ultra for 5yrs. Not the way games are getting ever more demanding, especially with the horribly optimized console ports.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I personally would choose a high refresh rate 1440p. I really do not see that 7900xtx doing 4k gaming, at high/ultra for 5yrs. Not the way games are getting ever more demanding, especially with the horribly optimized console ports.

Fair but just because the card MAY NOT keep up in years to come ( that's a maybe. FSR FG and Intel FG are getting better), doesn't mean settle on a lower tier monitor. It's not like a 4K monitor will be unusable in the future, if anything it's about the only thing for a PC you can future proof a bit. 4K isn't going anywhere and will eventually become the new 1080 in gaming.

I don't see a reason to spend a bunch of money on a monitor just for 1440 if you can do more. A few more bucks for 4K makes more sense to me.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
High refresh1440p isn't really all that pricey anymore. You can get 2x 1440p high refresh rate monitors, for roughly the price of a single 4k high refresh.
But price isn't the only factor, it's what will serve you best long term. Even at half the price, that's half of a higher end 4k monitor that you shelled out when it no longer serves you. How high do you even need to go unless your competitive playing? A 144hz 4K monitor is more than sufficient for now and in the future.

I had two mint condition ASUS monitors with boxes, Zero dead pixels, high refresh, 1440. True HDMI 2.1, Decent RTINGS scores. One was 27" and the other 32". When I wanted to go 4K I basically had to give them away (I actually did to a very good friend). I tried selling each, nobody wanted it. Tried selling the 32 and giving the 27, nobody wanted it.

Realized how much money I p1zz'd away and could have had a good midrange 4K monitor for how much I spent and had change to spare. If you say they are cheaper now, I believe you but even at half the price, I wouldn't put half the money of a good monitor towards it just to save a few bucks now.

Not to mention the aforementioned waste of even having a 7900xtx if you're going to go 1440, even if that means higher frames and slightly better settings.

I dunno, I get what you're saying, I respect it, it's not wrong but it's not the direction I'd go (again).

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
IMHO 1440p is a good balance of resolution, performance and cost.

I own and regularly use both 1440p and 4k monitors. I eliminated all the 1080p monitors as once you become accustomed to 1440p and 4K, 1080p looks bad and you don't fit as much on a 27" screen.

I'm quite happy with 1440p on my 27" and 38" (ultrawide) monitors. My 4K is a 27" monitor and its great for detailed photo editing but for most uses provides no major advantage over 1440p.

I use a 3080TI with the 1440p ultrawide (supports 180Hz) - it maxes out the 3080TI in fast action games. I'm not sure my experience would be significantly better with 4K assuming I could support the frame rates. This becomes a bigger question considering the cost of equipment to fully support 4K.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Having bought the early generation 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor, I can't say I have many regrets. Paid $800, still using it. November 2015, until now, so just over 8 years, or about $100 a year.

Buying a 4K 144hz panel today would be similar, when you upgrade your GPU in a few years, then you can take advantage of the monitor's top end.

Which leads me to looking at OLED panels as a potential replacement, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Reactions: mikejs78

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Having bought the early generation 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor, I can't say I have many regrets. Paid $800, still using it. November 2015, until now, so just over 8 years, or about $100 a year.

Buying a 4K 144hz panel today would be similar, when you upgrade your GPU in a few years, then you can take advantage of the monitor's top end.

Which leads me to looking at OLED panels as a potential replacement, but just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm still very anti-OLED for PC. It's not been used long term enough on a daily basis by people. Static images like start menus, browser tabs, desktop icons, game HUDs..

My TV I've had ghosting after varying durations based on the color but if I can have temporary retention just from short bursts like that, daily, regular , consistent use I can only see burning in.

OLED is on its way out anyway in favor of MicroLED and competing tech that shouldn't have those side effects. I'd wait it out or save money and go with a traditional high refresh rate.

Hi i always was worried about getting oled monitor because when they first come out to gaming on monitor people had screen burns and such and it made alot people worried but I took the risk and bought my first gaming oled monitor and loved every moment playing games with the perfect colour. I only bought it because they added an cooling thing at back off monitor and thats good idea. Newer Oled gaming monitors are coming with good features to reduce the risk off screenburn. Also bonus dont have to look at those anoyying backlight bleeds lol. I like to go with high refesh rate monitors but sometimes makes me think can my gpu handle that but with my 120hz oled monitor runs smoothly with games and makes it more better experence.