News Nintendo obliterates 8,535 Yuzu repos — Nintendo's most effective DMCA takedown campaign in years

Nintendos just wasting its time.

They can remvoe all they want and they'll just get replaced...and thats ignoring fact Yuzu isn't even the only option (rujinx exists and they obviously cant legally attack that one else they'd of done so right after yuzu)

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Pardon my pardon, but why the hell emulate Switch? It's current. I do emulate the SNES. Maybe something modern like the PS2 for that one game never released on PC.
But why Switch??

but why the hell emulate Switch?
2 reasons:
1: better performance.
Even when new the Switch was dated hardware. (remember botw's frame issues early on?)
2: mods.
ToTK/BotW w/ the raytrace reshaders made game look more beautiful.

I own 2 switch (an og got at release and an oled casue it does look nice) and I use them while i travel or if a game has online features but in a SP game at home? Emulating it is best option.

Sep 27, 2023
Pardon my pardon, but why the hell emulate Switch? It's current. I do emulate the SNES. Maybe something modern like the PS2 for that one game never released on PC.
But why Switch??
Because the barrier to entry is low enough that the complexity doesn't tank modern computers. If you're a PC gamer you can get dramatically better visual experiences than the console offers. There's other reasons too, of course. Mainly games that only live on that platform, and those who don't want to shell out money for a Switch to play them.

Reactions: usertests

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Nintendo is the worst company on the planet. They are going out of their way to punish their fan base. Hopefully those fans will say "enough is enough" and stop propping their shambling corporate corpse soon because I can't be bothered to read and comment on yet another one of these articles.

Reactions: ezst036

scottslayer

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
The multiple backups on Internet Archive and all of the ones I have bookmarked hosted by emulator groups are still up so I think Nintendo just wanted to pay someone money and waste time.

Reactions: peachpuff

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if a better option would be to release official Nintendo Switch emulator with a nice store to buy copy protected games.
People want to buy and play Nintendo's games but they are not making it easy.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Nintendo is the worst company on the planet. They are going out of their way to punish their fan base. Hopefully those fans will say "enough is enough" and stop propping their shambling corporate corpse soon because I can't be bothered to read and comment on yet another one of these articles.
Definitely worse companies. Disney has been on my list of eval crops for 25 years now. Nintendo is at least only at 20.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Hmm, not sure about that. Union carbide, Monsanto, and Nestle would be stronger contenders. Boeing is currently making an attempt for this crown. Maybe throw in Foxconn. At least Nintendo isn’t killing people. That we know of.
I meant in game publishers' competition, not free for all.

Nintendo shares the first spot with Epic Games, EA, and Ubisoft.

As for those others who are killing people, I raise you Rio Tinto, Blackrock, and Vanguard.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nintendo needs to sit down, shut up, and evolve. Palworld clearly hurt them so now they're trying to overcompensate. Enough with all the DMCA nonsense!

Anyone else reading this while emulating TotK, and making a rom backup?
I've been playing through TOTK for the first time recently using both a real Nintendo Switch and a real game cartridge. There are so many times where I wish I had access to mods. A few small tweaks and a little more performance would make all the difference in my enjoyment of TOTK.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
There is no provision for "Fair use" in Japan. So, Nintendo gets to be as litigious as they want.
GitHub operates under U.S. law.

Any company can be as litigious as they can afford to be. Whether or not that leads to success is another story, but for companies that comply with the DMCA, they can get immediate results. Repos could eventually reappear if there are individuals brave enough to file counter notices, but emulator code should probably be hosted somewhere else.

Nintendo needs to sit down, shut up, and evolve. Palworld clearly hurt them so now they're trying to overcompensate. Enough with all the DMCA nonsense!

I've been playing through TOTK for the first time recently using both a real Nintendo Switch and a real game cartridge. There are so many times where I wish I had access to mods. A few small tweaks and a little more performance would make all the difference in my enjoyment of TOTK.
Just go pure pc and forget all nintendo stuff. Personally there are times when i want to go to console just to play some exclusive on the platform. But in the end i just ditch the idea and just enjoy what ever i can on pc platform.

Nintendo is the worst company on the planet.
not even close.
Nestle thinks water shouldnt be free and if you cant afford it you deserve to die
Ubisoft is actively removing games you paid for.
Sony similarly tried to do that w/ video purchases (before they got so much backlash they changed it) & theres rumor theyve rushed Bungie releases that impacting em because if Bungie fails to meet expectations Sony gets to take them over fully.
Ea & their godly amount of p2w drama

Nintendo in gaming sphere is also one of better ones in their old CEO (during wii u era) took a pay cut to avoid having to punish the lower end for its lackluster sales...how many other company ceos have ever done that in the field?

Now do they have an iron hand agaisnt fans using their IPs? sure but they are entitled to that even if it sucks for creativity.

Thats basically their only bad side. (and they've been doing it longer than anyone basically)

if a better option would be to release official Nintendo Switch emulator with a nice store to buy copy protected games.
me and others would love it...heck attach it to the switch online as a perk & ppl'd have more reason to pay for it. (heck even make us have to 2fa on a switch just to prove you own it)

Palworld clearly hurt them
as someone who buys every single pokemon game (including spinoffs like conquest and stuff but not the go stuff as those arent made by them just rented ip) & also enjoys palworld...they both have pros and cons and neither repalces other.

if i want a plot and minigames and stuff i'll play pkmn.
if I just want to fight stuff or breed i'll play palworld.

Nintendo's been anti emulators since long b4 palworld existed. (they've had beef w/ dolphin since basically day1 just they have no legal way to shut it down similar so ryujinx. Yuzu just happened to do a no-no and got in way they could be punished)

All this because Yuzu can already emulate the upcoming Switch 2 ?
highly unlikely. same in the way dolphin can't emulate wii u. There likely similar but under the hood much different.
GitHub operates under U.S. law.
worse...it operates under Microsoft <_<.
Just go pure pc and forget all nintendo stuff.
or do both?
$300 is cost of 6-7 games(less if u go after new cost of aaa games)

Switch games are solid and generally worth the investment. (botw, totk, mk8, splatoon,smashbros, MHrise, etc all have massive time sinks of enjoyment)

Reactions: thisisaname

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
no wonder i couldnt find the xci file for smash recently. i have been playing animal crossing a hella lot lately. anybody have a good drive dump that they can share with a good amount? im going to create a backup drive as well of emulator and game files for personal use

Colif

Win 11 Master
I meant in game publishers' competition, not free for all.
they have hard competition in that space too, EA have a massive head start in that regard. Blizzard catching up, Sony demanding Helldivers 2 players suddenly having a PSN account is up there this weekend as well, Nintendo are hardly the worst example.

Nintendo just annoyed Palworld made it through. Farming the same IP for years was becoming the norm. Why change when people still buy the same old things.

TheHerald

Proper
Feb 15, 2024
But why Switch??
Because switch on a big 4k TV is horrible looking. Low resolution, lots of aliasing. I have one and use it as a handheld, but when playing on the TV, I get a better experience by streaming it from the computer to the TV then just docking the switch.

TheHerald

Proper
Feb 15, 2024
2 reasons:
1: better performance.
Even when new the Switch was dated hardware. (remember botw's frame issues early on?)
2: mods.
ToTK/BotW w/ the raytrace reshaders made game look more beautiful.

I own 2 switch (an og got at release and an oled casue it does look nice) and I use them while i travel or if a game has online features but in a SP game at home? Emulating it is best option.
Exactly what Im doing. Even when I use it as a handheld - Im streaming from the PC to the switch with moonlight NX, lol :cool: