News Nintendo obliterates 8,535 Yuzu repos — Nintendo's most effective DMCA takedown campaign in years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
So, Nintendo should NOT protect it's IP?

Is that the sentiment of Tom's readers?
There is no Nintendo IP to protect in emulator code, regardless of what agreements Nintendo's lawyers bullied Yuzu/Citra devs into signing.

My sentiment is that I prefer if Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Hollywood, etc. imaginary property rights are violated flagrantly, because that means the Internet is working as intended.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
There is no Nintendo IP to protect in emulator code, regardless of what agreements Nintendo's lawyers bullied Yuzu/Citra devs into signing.

My sentiment is that I prefer if Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Hollywood, etc. imaginary property rights are violated flagrantly, because that means the Internet is working as intended.
So the law can go hang when it isn't to your liking?
You know that's wrong. Not only is it morally wrong but anarchy comes to get you eventualy. You may enjoy a tyrannical corporation getting it's comeuppance sometimes, and Nintendo may fully deserve to go ride a tricycle made of sticks, but let's not abandon law completely.

The internet is a tool to help control excesses and abuses of power. Violating and undermining law itself helps very few, even if it's very popular with many (morons).

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
As someone who has been in the emulation scene and gaming scene for a long time, here is what I can tell you: The reason nintendo hates emulation so much is not so much because of piracy, though thats part of it. They hate it because it destroys their fundamental business model: Selling you half-baked potato hardware for 4x its value because "Thats the only way to play mario and zelda". This is why Nintendo consoles are so inferior. They don't have to compete with PS5/XSX because those 2 don't have Mario, Zelda, and others.

Switch 2 rumours point to a GTX 780. So when the switch 2 releases in 2025, it will be 12 years out of date AT THE TIME OF RELEASE.... nevermind the fact that it has to last 7 years. This is one of many reasons why emulation is so.... ssssoooooooooo important to the gaming industry. Some of us want our games to look nice. I've compared MK8D on Yuzu to a real switch. Even at 1080p, the difference is extraordinary. At 4K? Oh gawd, I don't even wanna know. I won't even buy nintendo consoles anymore.

The year is 2024. Our screens are bigger. Our resolutions are higher. Our textures are nicer. Our GPUs are more powerful. If nintendo intentionally lags 12 years behind so they can use IP as leverage to compel gamers to buy their potatoes, well, I'll just use an emulator. People asking about an official emulator release from nintendo: It won't happen, because then no one will buy the potato. The point is to build a potato that costs nothing to make, and sell it for extraordinary profit margins. That's also why nintendo won't go 3rd party. They dont make the console to sell the games. They make the games to sell the console.

I'm not going to go to a store in 2025 and buy a 12 year old tablet for $300 or whatever it will be. I'm just not doing that. I'll happily wait for the emulator to come out and use that. I'll buy a game cartridge so I can say I own it legit, then go download it off TPB. I can produce the original, so I'm just downloading something I already own anyway, and I can at least make the games look respectable.

Nintendo has been known to be an extraordinarily scummy company, and this is just one example. Switch emulation isn't over. Suyu is going strong. Their discord server got nuked, but they are thriving with 37K members on another platform. So they will be just fine. Ryujinx can't be touched because the front-man lives in brazil, and the development team is decentralized. It's basically impossible for nintendo to sue.

Don't worry ladies, emulation ain't going anywhere. Emulation will be jjjuuuuuuussssssttttt ffffffiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeee

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023
I was a vocal defender of Nintendo in the Garry’s Mod issue due to the fact that blatant copying and hosting of byte for byte Nintendo digital assets was occurring, but I can’t possibly side with Nintendo on this one. I’ve used Yuzu to emulate switch games that I legally own to play them with better resolution and frame rates because the Switch hardware kind of sucks. I really wish Yuzu hadn’t been so vocal about TotK support before the game was released because otherwise we’d probably still have Yuzu as an emulation option.

Reactions: usertests

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
So the law can go hang when it isn't to your liking?
You know that's wrong. Not only is it morally wrong but anarchy comes to get you eventualy. You may enjoy a tyrannical corporation getting it's comeuppance sometimes, and Nintendo may fully deserve to go ride a tricycle made of sticks, but let's not abandon law completely.

The internet is a tool to help control excesses and abuses of power. Violating and undermining law itself helps very few, even if it's very popular with many (morons).
Laws are as good as fiction if they are unenforceable and not supported by the masses.

But emulators do not violate Nintendo's "rights" so it doesn't matter either way.

There is no Nintendo IP to protect in emulator code
in many like dolphin & ryujinx? sure.

Yuzu? not so much. Yuzu was caught using Nintendo stuff to decipher the encryption keys or soemthing and was same reason bowser (not nintendo bowser but the mod chip guy who was sued by nintendo) lost against them. (you can look it up)
Ryujinx can't be touched because the front-man lives in brazil, and the development team is decentralized. It's basically impossible for nintendo to sue.
thats not why nintendo hasnt gone after them

Rujinx main dl is github, which is MS owned & could easily have it removed if they could.

Issue is Ryujinx is, like Dolphin, not breaking law atm so Nintendo can't legally do anything. (yuzu crossed the line and thats why they got bonked)

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
Issue is Ryujinx is, like Dolphin, not breaking law atm so Nintendo can't legally do anything. (yuzu crossed the line and thats why they got bonked)
Even if Ryu did what Yuzu did, they still can't be touched. Nintendo would have to sue in a Brazilian court. Laws down there are much different and very loose. A US judge couldn't do anything. Yuzu was a company registered legally in U.S. and is therefore subject to U.S. laws. Ryu is not

Reactions: iLoveThe80s
Even if Ryu did what Yuzu did, they still can't be touched. Nintendo would have to sue in a Brazilian court.
legal wise (as in lawsuit) perhaps but they'd force github and most other distributions to remove it. (as again doesnt matter where ur base is its where the data host is as they can get in trouble if they ignore a request)

reddit, discord, twitter, github, etc you'd be forced to less common/popular sites and that already removes a massive amount of users access (as most ppl wont know where to even go for the stuff)

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
legal wise (as in lawsuit) perhaps but they'd force github and most other distributions to remove it. (as again doesnt matter where ur base is its where the data host is as they can get in trouble if they ignore a request)

reddit, discord, twitter, github, etc you'd be forced to less common/popular sites and that already removes a massive amount of users access (as most ppl wont know where to even go for the stuff)

Ya, but people can just find suyu emulator website which would have links and guides for all the stuff so it wouldn't be too hard to find

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
Kind of my point the internet is vast and unless there DRM take down makes a simple unable to find it then it is not going to do much to stop it. It will stop the current people from developing it more but will not stop it being available.

A DRM take down wont make it impossible to find. It will make it slightly more difficult at worst

Reactions: thisisaname