[SOLVED] 4k possible using hd6670 and onboard dual graphics ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
I have spotted this post by someone and it sparked my interest in trying to accomplish this but looking for some more knowledgeable folks to break it down for me .

The post
what monitor/tv is it, does it have displayport?,

if i recall correctly the hd 6000 series has partial displayport 1.2 support but has some limitations, using the clock patcher will bypass the soft limit, you should be able to get 4k @ 45 hz with cru + clock patcher+ displayport.

you can also try the clock patcher with hdmi, but I wouldn't count on good result, make sure to have a way of getting into safe mode before attempting any patching aswell.

you can find the clock patcher here

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

So right now i currently have my two AMD graphics running in Dual at 1080p this is the maximum reported on my windows 10.

The 6670 has 1 hdmi 1 dvi and 1 vga output and the onboard has the same options im currently just plugged into the 6670.

I have two HDMI cables with one of them actually being a HDMI to DVI so that i could try this out.

Am i wrong in guessing i would plug one of the cables into the 6670 and one of them into the onboard and then both into hdmi ports on my tv to achieve this 4k ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
I've never known a TV be able to take 2 inputs, merge them and use them for 1 image, which is what you are asking, you are suggesting that HDMI1 and HDMI2 and somehow create an image that is the combination of both. I don't see that ever happening.

Sorry I might have confused myself with reading it somewhere I think it was this post I might have taken away wrong from it ?

Now I know.... I KNOW.... as I've personally bore witness to the setup... I was around a few months back to see what the new Asus PQ321Q... that insanely expensive 32" 4K display. Suffice it to say, on a 6970, hooked up the lone display port cable directly to the monitor.... powered it up, set the display resolution modes correctly (detecting MST properly) and boom.. 4k (3840x2160) no problem. with MST, it treats the display as 2 separate 1920x2160 resolution displays, and the internal mst hub in the monitor works it all out.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
There Is a good few posts with people talking about getting 4k using the 8670d and 6670 combined howerver the max resolutions for both of these cards is 2560x1440 which involves patching to get to it.. yet there is countless threads of people talking about hitting 4k.

Was just wondering in easy terms how this is achievable ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
You're referring to this, from 6 years ago?

Literal text search:
"as I've personally bore witness to the setup "

yeah that's the one there is a few others over the years ive seen but not been bothered at the time but im now looking to watch 4k material on my tv, so was hoping with my current setup it might be possible even at 30hz.

Achievable ?

this discussion one of the posters mentions dual hdmi which is what I was meaning in my original post dual hdmi to achieve 4k

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
"I tried hooking up 2 HDMI cables from the card to the display, didn't work (it saw it as two identical separate displays) "

yeah I had spotted that but just the fact the previous poster had mentioned it was just wondering if such a thing has ever been possible as i'd spotted it in other posts also in the past.

But he did go on to mention he achieved it but just hoping someone could explain how he did it in easy terms for me as most of the discussion is going over my head.

TRENDING THREADS