4K TV Backwards Compatibility

Solution
Oh, absolutely. It just wont play in 4k, that's all. Even if your internet speed could do it, you have to pay the added $3 or whatever a month before it would work.

Content will just stream in 1080p otherwise

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Probably not going to be a pleasant experience streaming "true" 4K at 10-12Mbps.
Besides, you'd need to be paying for the 4K "plan" at +$3/month to have the 4K option.

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Ultra HD 4K streaming through Netflix is only available on specific TV models, streaming devices, and computers. Please see above for more details.

Ultra HD 4K streaming through Netflix is also only available on plans that support streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at Netflix.com/ChangePlan.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Draclvr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the quick answer. Sorry, guess I wasn't clear with my question! I stream Netflix at my existing speeds quite well on the old 1080p TV. Hubby wants a new 50" and I'm having a hard time finding a decent new 1080p tv at Newegg or Amazon. What I meant to ask is will the TV even work with my old DirecTV box and my existing WiFi. Will it just use what speed is available if I stream Netflix which is acceptable at my slow speeds. Such are the curses of living out in the country! I've only been able to get 10 Mbps for about a year now.

I can't change my broadband wireless, so can I use a UHD TV with my existing setup is the question I guess. Thanks!

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
The tv will work. It just may not display it's optimal 4k resolution if your streaming bandwidth isn't good enough. You should be able to swap out your DirecTV box for a newer one that is 4k capable (not sure if they will charge for that).

Draclvr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
OK, that helps. Just as long as hubby can stream his Netflix at the old speed on a UHD TV. Who knows, maybe someday before I die we'll get good broadband out here in the sticks.