4tb external harddrive storage

predimus81

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I hope this the right place for this so i am big on buying blurays and burning them so i can watch them on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 when im not at home. so I just bought a 4gb external harddrive a seagate and when i use my otg cable it asks to format so it does but only at 1.65gb of space. how can i get it to reconnize all 4 tb?
So far I have tried to format the drive to exfat using windows which is what the phone formats it to and it says that the drive may damaged try reformatting it.This is not the case because its a brand new drive and works fine on my pc and fine when i let me phone format . Is there anyway i can get my phone to reconnize the full 4tb of storage on my external harddrive.?

How much of the drive that is seen and can be formatted is down to a few factors.

First is how old your machine, computer is. in relation to the bios.
The second is what operating system you have installed on the system, and it`s bit version 32 or 64 bit.
And the last is the type of format you use.

From Fat 32 to Ntfs a maximum partition size that can be formatted is limited to 2Tb maximum.
But with the new GPT formatting a drive or the limit is up to 16Tb. overall.

If you use GPT then you can have a 4TB partition, providing you also have an OS that supports Gpt partitions to read them.

Windows 8 and 10. 64 bit os. Uefi bios of motherboard.

predimus81

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
well the issue is not with my pc i have a customly built x99 system but the harddrive is for my phone i cant get my phone to reconize all 4 tb of the drive. when the phone formats it only 1.65gb of 4tb is seen. I have tried to use windows to format it to the ex fat system but the phone thinks the drive is damaged and tells me to reformat it and i know its not damaged because i just got it new today. its a seagate expansion external drive