[SOLVED] 4TB HDD: Accidentally Deleted Half via Partition Edit

Dec 13, 2019
Hi. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm on Macbook Pro running Mojave.

So, I had a WD Mycloud 4TB (WD Red HDD) and since they stopped support for the app, I wanted to switch to Plex. So I took the HDD from the enclosure and put it in a standard external hard drive enclosure. The HD was initially formatted in Linux, so I used extFS to format for Mac OS. Two seperate drives appeared, both labeled "Untitled". Each drive was 1.68TB. I wanted to format the HD into one 4tb hard drive. I used usb to connect the drive to a machine running windows and used Windows Disk Management to remove the little partitions in each of the two 1.68tb drives. I deleted an entire 1.68tb (one of the 2 drives named untitled) thinking that the 1.68tb from that portion would automatically be allocated to the other one, since they are really 1 drive that's been partitioned to act like two 1.68tb drives so that OS's can recognize them.

Problem is, now this 4tb drive is only showing 1 partition of 1.68tb size. I've lost the other half of it!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Dec 13, 2019
Is it actually showing 1.638 TiB?

If so, then your external enclosure has a 32-bit LBA limitation.

4TB - 2TiB = 1.638TiB

Yes, the actual exact size it's showing is 1.638. It used to have 2 identical partitions of that size, but I accidentally deleted one. The HDD enclosure I'm using is an old (approx 2009) WD MyBook ( I think that's what it's called).