4x2gb kingston hyperx

marcokleinrossi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
I received 2 packs of 2x2gb of kingston hyperx ram as a gift. Is there anything that do i have to configure in uefi since im using all four channels, or is there anything else about a 4channel memory setup that i should know?

Solution
When the RAM sold by kit (2 sticks), they work together well, but when you mix two set of RAM, even you have the exact same model two set ( total 4 sticks), you maybe have <5% chance to get BSOD. So you install one set into grey and other into the blue, and set to the xmp, then you have better chance to run the RAM in optimum performances.
usually the MB has the color for the RAM slot, you just install the one same pack of RAM into the same color slots. Also just install one set first, if you can boot the PC and go to the BIOS set the RAM setting to XMP mode.
After that, install the 2nd set to see you can boot the PC or not, if yes, you are done. If no you need do some tweak.

marcokleinrossi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013

just to clarify, my 4 sticks of ram are all the exact same model. I see the two grey colored slots and two blue colored slots. concerning setting it to xmp mode, does my specific ram have to be compatible with it?

When the RAM sold by kit (2 sticks), they work together well, but when you mix two set of RAM, even you have the exact same model two set ( total 4 sticks), you maybe have <5% chance to get BSOD. So you install one set into grey and other into the blue, and set to the xmp, then you have better chance to run the RAM in optimum performances.

Solution

marcokleinrossi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013

ok thanks!

marcokleinrossi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013

i have an i5-4670k with a gigabyte z87x-d3h, and my RAM is at 1600 mhz