5 Ghz Wifi to Wire

Jan 27, 2019
Hello everyone,
My Englis is not well but I will do my best. Sorry for possible mistakes.

I have a LTE modem. It has 2 LAN outputs and 2 wifi bands: 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz. Best speed is coming from 5 GHz wifi. Worst speed is coming from LANs. My pc is at another room and 5 GHz signals cannot reach there. I tried a few cat6 cables and cannot have better speeds. I tried another computers and laptops with different cat6 cables and all these experiments were terrible. Other users of this modem says this modem's LAN outputs are not enough. So I need an indirect solution.

My plan is that: I will buy a device. I will put it next to the modem. This device will collect the 5 GHz signal from the modem, and give signals to cat6 cable. I will plug this cable to my pc. Currently, a have a cat6 cable between the room in which modem placed and the room in which the pc is placed.

So, I need a device which can convert 5 GHz wifi signals to a wired connection. Can you advise a few models can do it for me? Or, what quality should I search for in the devices technical species lists?

Thanks in advance.
Best wishes.

Jan 27, 2019

yes, it has two 2,4 GHz wireless band and two 5GHz wireless band.
5GHz band provides 100 Mbps speed.
2,4Ghz band provides 60 Mbps speed.
LAN output provides 30 Mbps speed.

These are not the values written on modems guide. These are actual results in my home. Modem can reach more than 300 mbps connection if they change GSM infrastructure in my neighborhood.

edit: my modem is Huawei B618 . it can reach 600 mbps.

Jan 27, 2019

this is too expensive for me. I have half of this price. can you advise a cheaper one?

I have to put the device (access point?) next to my LTE modem because I have the cable there. So they will be too close to each other. Is it a problem?

Jan 27, 2019

sorry, I made a wrong calculation. price is good for me. but this device is not sold in my country, turkey. I can buy it form amazon.com but customs in our country creates problems with the electronic devices. maybe you can advise a device from tp-link ?

Jan 27, 2019

what about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-C50-Wireless-Router/dp/B071RSD473/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548596779&sr=1-1&keywords=Tp-L%C4%B1nk+Archer+C50+1200Mbps

It is sold in Turkey and its price is well for me. Can it convert my 5Ghz wireless to my cat6?

no idea.....

nope, it cant, it doesnt have client mode

Jan 27, 2019

thanks a lot for this important warning. I will check other devices which are sold in my country and make a list. then I will ask you to buy one of them.

thanks a lot for your interest.

Jan 27, 2019

unfortunatelly it is not sold in Turkey anymore:(

Jan 27, 2019
Can you write me some keywords to search for local sellers? What should I look for? Access point or router? How can I sure that a device has client mode or not?

wifi ac client router, this would cover it

wifi ac (dual band 2.4ghz+5ghz)
in device specs it has to support any of those two:
- client mode (connecting to your modem through wifi) or
- bridge mode (thats wifi repeater which extends your wifi coverage, this mode also connects to your modem through wifi)
in both cases wifi network can be accessed from lan ports (router)

Jan 27, 2019

I found this one in a local seller with a good price. Is it OK for me?
https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WAP300N/

there is a picture which defines my needs here:
https://ibb.co/nbvM1d4

this is the full of the user guide
http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/WAP300N_UG_EN_3425-01640A_Web,0.pdf

This seems crazy to do what you are doing. The ethernet port runs at 100mbps. It does not run at some value lower. It might run at 10mbps if there is some issue with the cable.

The only way you get 30mbps is if there is some other issue. The data between your PC and the router always travel at 100mbps. It might have to wait for data to come from in from the ISP but once it gets to the router it will be transferred at the full speed.

Pretty much this means the 30mbps is a issue with the speed you get from the ISP. If you are getting faster on the wifi it means there is something strange with the method you used to test it.

If you need more lan ports you can buy a inexpensive switch.

I would really investigate why the ethernet does not run as fast as the wifi before you start buying stuff.

Jan 27, 2019

in our country, internet prices are very higher than Europe. me and other clients who are writing on the forums, the ISP wanted to block sharing the internet bill. so the ISP gave me a modem which has limited wifi area and bad ethernet outputs to block me to share my internet price with neighbors. I cannot plug the data sim card in another modem and I cannot put another sim card to my modem.
I made all the speedtests by ookla's website and app. other users of the this service, says the same thing: ethernet ports of the modem give less speed.

Jan 27, 2019

My only need is that: turning 5 ghz wifi to ethernet. its speed is maximum 100 mbps. I have switches, I have an old adsl modem as router etc. if this device with 1 ethernet can convert my 5ghz wifi to ethernet, it is ok for me.

Jan 27, 2019

I just bought a Xiaomi Mi Wifi Router 3G and tried it in my office with fiber internet. It is working as I want. Thanks a lot for your help.