5 pin to 4 pin?

motoholden

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
My new thermaltake fan connectors on the thermaltake water 3.0 CPU cooler are 5 pin but all my fan headers on my z270 mobo are 4 pin headers. Will these fan work properly if I just plugged them in?

Solution
Oh i see now. Didn't realise it was an RGB one all the ones i looked up came without rgb fans on them. In that case you will most likely need the thermaltake ring controller if it didn't already come with one I believe. Plug the fans into that and then the fan hub into whichever power source that it requires on your motherboard and/or PSU

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014

Are you able to post a picture? Fan header pins are either 3 pin or 4 pin in my experience. And from looking at images of your cooler they appear to be 4 pin not 5. 1 4pin for the pump then another 4 pin per fan depending on which size model you bought

motoholden

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

I can post a picture later when I get home from work

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
these are the 3 types of fan header plugs that I know of in existence.

3 pin, 4 pin and molex
fan-connectors-100360901-orig.jpg

If you do in fact have 4 pin headers and need to plug them into a 3 pin this is how they should fit
connector_mbfanpwm_4to3pin.png

motoholden

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

https://www.google.com/search?q=thermaltake+water+3.0+fan+connectors&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUstOcz_vRAhVE42MKHf6NCWsQ_AUICCgC&biw=414&bih=628#imgrc=X851UudXL2DjqM:

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
Oh i see now. Didn't realise it was an RGB one all the ones i looked up came without rgb fans on them. In that case you will most likely need the thermaltake ring controller if it didn't already come with one I believe. Plug the fans into that and then the fan hub into whichever power source that it requires on your motherboard and/or PSU

Solution

motoholden

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Ohhh I see now I didn't realize I had to use that. Thanks for the replies. I have two of them so it should be enough

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
If you are feeling a bit more technical a quick glance on google seems to bring up info about how you can join the hubs together as well if wanted so you only have to press the buttons on one hub rather than both. But i'll leave that up to you

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I actually had identical question for diffirent reason.

I hate controller boxes. Anything that require extra hardware to work is a big no, no. But in my case I have 3 (yes 3) boxes that I need to get my crap to work property.

I have Thermaltake View71 RGB Case that comes with controller to connect fans in to it. Fans are NOT standard pins and I can't just connect them straight to motherboard even if I said screw RGB aspect of it. Then I have Thermaltake 3 pack fan kit that comes with another controller, pins on that 3 pack fan kit are diffirent from case fans. And finally CPU Cooler. Floe TT Premium 360. Another controller and I also have to use controller for radiator fans.

So recap, Case controller, Controller that came with 3 extra fast I purchased for a case and finally AIO Liquid CPU cooler controller for radiator fans.

Question:

Because this days good high end boards support ANY RGB tech - From ASUS AURA or MSI MAgicLight or some other companies is there anyway to simply eliminate controller and simply use Fan headers on the motherboard using some adapter ? IF I understand correctly FANS needs to be programmed with RGB software once, and then they will work that program until they're reprogrammed again. In other words if that extra pins needed for RGB programming then program it once and then put it via regular header after. You wont be able to reprogram it but who cared it works and RGB is on.

Anyone ?