5 Reasons Why New Macs and iPhone are Lacking

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Apple haters make me laugh. My first gen 8gb iPhone does me fine daily. If you don't like it don't read about it bypass the story. Yeh other phones had these features long before today but don't have the huge screen or zoom in out finger feature, widescreen movie support built in iPod to name a few. It's the best phone I've had and I've had many over the years. I'll be upgrading to the new 32gb and will be the envy of everyone I know and some I don't. Enjoy your Pre overhyped poor cust service bad review phone I'll be laughing while zipping along at 7.2 hdps net speed ! Hate the game not the gamer![/citation]
I agree.
Except i am an apple hater... BUT, I love my Iphone, by far the best electronic device i have ever owned. Its a phone... no.. its a toy.. no its also my Ipod. I love it! I hate Apple!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I think Tom's Hardware should seriously stop thinking that Apple's main priority is gaming. Sure, gaming is important but apparently, not that crucial of a market segment as it is for the regular IBM-PC, plus, what if you can't CrossFire your system, most gamers still run single GPUs, 'cuz they work just as fine.

Another point that Tom's Hardware is missing is what they talked about HDMI, yes, it's missing it on the system itself, but that's where Apple's adapter system comes in. I think Tom's Hardware should've asked ... why isn't there an HDMI adapter for the Macbooks than to say ... oh there's no HDMI on the system which makes it automatically bad? Most projectors still uses the VGA interface and I'm perfectly happy with my mini DisplayPort.

I don't even think Tom's Hardware has even used a Mac before, before they published these articles.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]I think Tom's Hardware should seriously stop thinking that Apple's main priority is gaming. Sure, gaming is important but apparently, not that crucial of a market segment as it is for the regular IBM-PC, plus, what if you can't CrossFire your system, most gamers still run single GPUs, 'cuz they work just as fine.Another point that Tom's Hardware is missing is what they talked about HDMI, yes, it's missing it on the system itself, but that's where Apple's adapter system comes in. I think Tom's Hardware should've asked ... why isn't there an HDMI adapter for the Macbooks than to say ... oh there's no HDMI on the system which makes it automatically bad? Most projectors still uses the VGA interface and I'm perfectly happy with my mini DisplayPort.I don't even think Tom's Hardware has even used a Mac before, before they published these articles.[/citation]

You're kidding me right?

/ Tuan

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I used to look up to you Apple, when Microsoft Windows fell off because of the BSOD's. Your OS was the most powerful and stable of all, and now you charge thousands for a decent PC, offering minimal/basic upgrades for hunderds...

Why Apple, why...?!

grandshadow3581

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
One thing also made me wonder, the Mac pro desktops are best for web/video development why is it the only options are Radeon and Gforce, why isn't there an option for Nvidia Quadro or ATI FireGL. This would be a much better option for Developers. Isn't there a PC Nvidia Quadro CX that is optimized for Adobe CS4, but is not Mac compatible. This does not make any sense.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Tuan, Apple doesn't need to compete with Microsoft. It's a boutique brand, and always will be. To use another analogy, you can find Toyota that does exactly the same thing as a BMW. Even with similar engines, etc for a much cheaper price. Apple banks their brand on style. They're better looking than any PC out there by a major manufacturer, and people, including my clients, ooh and ahh when they see a new Macbook and iPhone. Does that mean Apple is better? Not at all. It means that they don't need to drop their prices for lackluster hardware. Apple will never be a dominant PC player, and I think that's a smart move on their part. Look what happened to Dell and Gateway when they were #1 in the market back in the day.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]Tuan, Apple doesn't need to compete with Microsoft. It's a boutique brand, and always will be. To use another analogy, you can find Toyota that does exactly the same thing as a BMW. Even with similar engines, etc for a much cheaper price. Apple banks their brand on style. They're better looking than any PC out there by a major manufacturer, and people, including my clients, ooh and ahh when they see a new Macbook and iPhone. Does that mean Apple is better? Not at all. It means that they don't need to drop their prices for lackluster hardware. Apple will never be a dominant PC player, and I think that's a smart move on their part. Look what happened to Dell and Gateway when they were #1 in the market back in the day.[/citation]

Hi crom -

Actually, you're wrong about this one. Most of Apple's ads target Microsoft and Windows. So it is really clear that Apple does and wants to compete with Microsoft.

In regards to your BMW analogy. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to speak to a BMW executive and was told that in actuality, BMW corporate believes it makes the best cars in the world, and wants "everyone" to drive a BMW. Hence, BMW introduces more and more affordable versions of its automobiles--like the 1-series.

/ Tuan

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Apple does try to woo customers over from Microsoft, this is true, however its due to its brand perception. In their ads they aren't saying that they're just another manufacturer like HP or Dell, they're saying that they're cooler to use. They know that they won't woo everyone over, that's my point with it. I don't think they need to be the biggest direct competitor to Microsoft on the software side, or to be the biggest PC vendor. They just want to be the coolest. The campaign is working, especially if you look at how their market share has increased.

If BMW wanted everyone to drive a BMW, don't you think they'd release models in the sub 20k range? BMW, Lexus, Infinity, etc. are all boutique car brands. I've worked with Lexus as a client, and they understand this as well. Do they want to sell a car to everyone? Sure. Do they think that they will? Of course not. Once they cut the price on it they dilute the "luxury" image.

TCatalyst

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
If you happen to be a media professional, Apple's hardware moves make a lot more sense.

I am currently on 4 different OS's spread over a variety of hardware. Fan boy am not. Just understand what things are intended to be used for.

You need hardware support for... Oh Ya GAMES!! Get a console - or 3 like me. And some PC's if you need that too. Use the macs for work.

The iPhone 3Gs are cool. AT&T is lame, like most US phone services.

Totaly agree about the copy/paste. Thank goodness it is here. On the 17th that is.

[citation][nom]San Pedro[/nom]It's funny that the Iphone is so popular in the states, and I think Europe too. While I think it's a pretty cool phone, most people here in Japan don't like them at all. They think they're slow on the net, and that they are missing features that many other phones have. . . Then again I think Japan is like the leading place for cell phone technology.[/citation]

Man, I envy you. You get to use my SH906i to its full extent but I'm stuck with only calls and SMS in Canada :(

nemo888

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
Apples are overpriced. Artists used to need them for things like Photoshop, Quark Express or video editing. Those days are gone. Now platform is meaningless. Good luck living off of your old credentials. Stats put the average Mac user at 50. It is time again for clones like the Orange back in the day. That made everyone buy Apple. Just kit the same hardware together and sell if for 1000$ less for the DIY crowd.

G

I'm a computer technician since 1998 and it was only the last 3 years I really discovert the Mac's hardware. Then, I found out the thing I like of these computers is there simplicity and ease of use. Yes, Windows XP or 7 can be usable and somewhere reliable like OS X. Most of PC user don't have to have there drivers up to date to work with his PC. The answer is simply, you like MAC product for what you like of it. It's the same thing for the PC product. I can add a PC GTX260 in a MAC PRO 2008 - 2009 and use it flawlessly. With OSX86 crowd, we can have kext to use PC hardware not supported by Apple.

About the ride over my Macbook Pro: try to ride over a toshiba or a dell portable just to test if the plastic case with crack under your bike well. I can say a thing about the reliability of Mac laptop products, I owned two macbook and when I came in my car, I litteraly trow it inside the car. Never the case have broken. Be sure, I have sleeve to have my Macbooks safe.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]MAC And PC user[/nom]I'm a computer technician since 1998 and it was only the last 3 years I really discovert the Mac's hardware. Then, I found out the thing I like of these computers is there simplicity and ease of use. Yes, Windows XP or 7 can be usable and somewhere reliable like OS X. Most of PC user don't have to have there drivers up to date to work with his PC. The answer is simply, you like MAC product for what you like of it. It's the same thing for the PC product. I can add a PC GTX260 in a MAC PRO 2008 - 2009 and use it flawlessly. With OSX86 crowd, we can have kext to use PC hardware not supported by Apple. About the ride over my Macbook Pro: try to ride over a toshiba or a dell portable just to test if the plastic case with crack under your bike well. I can say a thing about the reliability of Mac laptop products, I owned two macbook and when I came in my car, I litteraly trow it inside the car. Never the case have broken. Be sure, I have sleeve to have my Macbooks safe.[/citation]
and what makes you think that toshiba and dells are the only options? lenovos are knwon to be the most solid laptops on the market and es someone did ride a bike over it to show their strenght,asus and alienware have better parts and desktops can be customized much better than a mac pro for half the price your argument is moot

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
point 5 is a subset of 3 >>;;

in any case I can agree with all the points. Although the power issue for crossfire can be solved with a custom power supply, it is not something the customer should have to custom replace.

As for the iphone I waited and waited for a better phone to come out... a year I waited, but nothing. I knew their were better phones in Japan and it pissed me off. Then the iphone with a data plan came to Canada and I was sick of waiting so I got it.

I'd have to say with the new os upgrade it will be much smoother. Most of the features I was missing exist now. The thing is the phone was nice and had a great user interface, better than most, possibly better than the japanese ones (just because i know good usability when I see it), so filling in their features gap makes the phone great rather than crappy.

Alas the phones still lag... and I'm not sure if an OS upgrade will be enough... is Tegra here yet? =P

Also I've told many people you gotta buy macs when the newest major revision FIRST comes out. Otherwise you will pay a premium... if you buy it as soon as it comes out you won't... it'll be a very similar price to PCs =).

Don't buy a new mac when the new OS comes out... buy it when the new system comes out, and just upgrade the OS at the time of a new one.

In any case I can't manually switch circuits, therefor the operating system is key, and sorry guys but windows, include 7 SUCKS! So I'll continue to pay anything to use a mac. If I had more time I'd be cheap with linux, but alas time is more important to me than money.

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Ok I was sick of reading people praise lenova so I went to their website to get some facts for my self.

First thing... their website sucks. What a pain in the ass to navigate. I am using their Canadian site so maybe that's part of the problem. I went to think pads then it said their SL series had a 13.3" model, so i click the link and it shows me two kinds you can get... a 14.1" and a 15.4"... thank lenova >>;;.

Their X series is significantly more expensive than a macbook, and is more around the price of a pro, but without the processing power.

So guys gimme a hand here... link me to a lenova that rivals the macbook, because lenovas website is fail, and you guys seem to be all talk. Here I can hand write you the link to the different macbooks you can get apple.ca/macbookpro

guys read these words. "USABILITY IS IMPORTANT!" If any of you are computer scientest I hope you either read and understand these words or go burn in a fire, because it fucking pisses me off when people don't heed those words. A computer is useless if it isn't accessible.

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Apple doesn't care. They just want to sell hardware. They want you to buy a new computer, or phone every year. next year (maybe sooner) they'll come out with another iphone and add a couple small things and apple fanboys will buy it in droves and end up paying a premium for it. Being an apple fanboy is expensive because Zar Jobs just wants money. You think its by accident that they bring out little things at a time. Cut and past to apple people is huge because they didn't have it for 2 years. What are they doing to do next make a 17 and a half inch macbook pro and people will chuck their 17 inch and buy the 17 and a half because thats what apple fanboys do. Apple should just buy the church of scientology because their just as bad.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really am confused about Tom's Hardware and those reviewing articles -- Mac's are PC's they're hardware, why on earth would someone at Tom's allow an article like this to be published that contains such incredibly obvious errors??

You can have an ATI 4870 Graphics card come with your MacPro if you so like. In fact, older MacPros can get the card also -- to suggest that the 4870 can't do games is just stupid! Suggesting that an 8 core MacPro can't do games is even more inaccurate. Load Boot camp (if you don't like native Mac games) and your Mac IS 100% PC (no compromises) with all that goes with PC's, including PC games. And yes, you can have two 4870's in a MacPro if you like, crossfire support will only be thru Boot camp obviously.

So WTF is this lame and incredibly wrong article about??

And then we have folks list completely unverifiable and/or simply wrong information such as "most users", "85% of PC users", etc. etc. total BS numbers pulled from the regions on their buttocks.

And then all the bone heads that post about MacPro's that have never owned one, and most probably have never even seen one -- or worse yet, say "I used a friends" or "I tried one at an Apple Store" or "my 10 year old G4/G5 Mac" -- give me a break!

Windows users are people that DON'T value their time, they don't mind spending hours research OS bugs and problems with their OS and their hardware and their drivers -- just look a the forums in Tom's -- endless rants about people having problems with their PC (not their Mac).

When you folks put value on your time, you'll see the light, and it will not be some "cheap is best" bald headed ugly mofo like Steve Ballmer telling you what is good for you and suggesting you don't like Vista because you're an idiot -- yeah, great way to sell Vista Ballmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.